• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Trejo

Victor Trejo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I recently bought a used Archer 2. As I was practicing whip pans i notice that my post would slide ever so slightly after I'd grip it to a stop. Is there a problem with my gimbal? I was wondering if that was normal or something I should look into fixing.

Edited by Victor Trejo, 07 August 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Victor,

I have not owned a Tiffen gimbal since the 3a (which was actualy CP then....)  but I know the quick release clamp on all their tooless gimbals can be adjusted to prevent this very easily by you. Hopefully someone will chime in with details. 

#3 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Alec is right; it's easy to adjust.

There are two small hex head screws in the lever mechanism that can be adjusted to tighten the grip.

A very small amount of adjustment has a very large effect on the tightness of the clamp, so go very slowly.

I would tighten the screws by first releasing the clamp, and then turn the screws in 1/8th of a turn or less - the smaller increment, the better. Tighten both screws equally.

If the lever won't go over centers and lock (i.e., close with a snap), do not force it - you have gone too far and need to back off the screws.

Jerry

#4 Stefan Baltz

Stefan Baltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • germany

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I also had this Problem with my Zephyr gimbal...Recently even the Post slipped through the gimbal...I now bought a Set of allen keys in different inch sizes, but none fitted the hex Key opposite of the gimbal clamp...does anyone knows the exact size of this Screw??

#5 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

This can become a problem on any rig from any manufacturer. Just don't over tighten because you don't want a snapped collar.

Weirdly I actually started playing with loosening my gimble off for whip pans to get a nicer lock-off at the end.

The time you want to make sure its real tight is on vehicle mounts.

#6 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi Stefan,

had the same problem. It´s because you need US-style, "inch-based" tools. I bought a toolset from Bosch (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NDGQD4' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Link to Amazon). There´s an allen key labled with "T20" included which is matches the gimbal clamp screw.

I also had this Problem with my Zephyr gimbal...Recently even the Post slipped through the gimbal...I now bought a Set of allen keys in different inch sizes, but none fitted the hex Key opposite of the gimbal clamp...does anyone knows the exact size of this Screw??

#7 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Weirdly I actually started playing with loosening my gimble off for whip pans to get a nicer lock-off at the end.

A similar trick when using Antlers is to loosen the clamp so the Antlers don't rotate when you do a whip pan, then they "re-lock" at the end of the pan.

Jerry

#8 Stefan Baltz

Stefan Baltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • germany

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

@Wolfgang
I already got me a set of keys in inch size, but none fitted. So I'd prefer a single one instead of another box :)
Do you have the exact size?? Must be something between 1/8 & 5/32.
Maybe 9/64, 17/128, 19/128??

thanks

#9 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

A similar trick when using Antlers is to loosen the clamp so the Antlers don't rotate when you do a whip pan, then they "re-lock" at the end of the pan.

Jerry

Jerry, you are insane.

Don't you know that Eric has an equation to prove that this cannot happen unless in a vacuum?!

#10 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Sorry, donĀ“t have the exact size. But I think this one should work...

@Wolfgang
I already got me a set of keys in inch size, but none fitted. So I'd prefer a single one instead of another box :)
Do you have the exact size?? Must be something between 1/8 & 5/32.
Maybe 9/64, 17/128, 19/128??

thanks

#11 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

Jerry

Jerry, you are insane.

Don't you know that Eric has an equation to prove that this cannot happen unless in a vacuum?!

Ron- Really! Alters have flux capacitors at both ends, otherwise this would not work at all. (full disclosure...)

#12 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hey Jerry, do you recommend the new cold fusion power cubes to power antlers as they need 1.21 gigawatts to heat up the flux capacitor :D

#13 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

damn wikileaks!

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC