#1 xddj

xddj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Warsaw, Poland

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

I`m looking for power inverter for film cameras, but I don`t know theirs power consumption. Could someone share this info with me.

Will 1A@24V be enough to power let say Movicam or Arri cams?

Marcin

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:20 AM

I`m looking for power inverter for film cameras, but I don`t know theirs power consumption. Could someone share this info with me.

Will 1A@24V be enough to power let say Movicam or Arri cams?

Marcin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No not nearly enough. Try 20 amps for a 435 starting up. 12 amps for the arricams

#3 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

And if you have to run 150 fps with that 435, you won´t make it with 24 volts.....
you need 28 to 32 volts to get up to speed! At that amperage!

Few converters can handle this, without dipping down below the camera´s minimum.
Therefore it is often better to do this with a double (2 x 14.4 volts) battery system.

#4 xddj

xddj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Warsaw, Poland

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Yeah! That was my first thought to put two 14.4V battery pack in serial, but then I saw that most of the rig producers/upgraters have inverters on theirs products - that is were the question arised.

Anyway great to hear that the common use it the standard one of combining two batteries ;)

Thanks for help

#5 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

A cheap, simple, lightweight method of doing this is to add a NP-1 battery/battery mount for the second battery to supply the extra voltage. NP-1's are cheap, relatively light, and come in a wide variety of voltages & capacities. Also, one NP-1 will handle about 4 mag's worth of film and start up virtually any camera out there. The mounts are under $100 and chargers are relatively inexpensive as well. A DC-DC converter capable of handling this much current will weigh much more than a NP-1 will and cost a fortune.

Jim "battery included" Bartell

#6 xddj

xddj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Warsaw, Poland

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Jim - make sens NP`s are very cheap.

All in all, I`m thinking of changing batery system on my rig. I`m curently useing PAGlok with brick battery, but they are very expensive and I can`t do much with only two bricks. And buying new battery is just crazy. I could easly do 4-5 battery packs from modellers power cells - high-cap NiCd...

More I`m getting into this stuff, more I think that all I`m paying is the brand... but hey, that`s the way it is, all a ned to do is accept the fact :/

#7 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:35 PM

If you are thinking of changing your battery system entirely, may I suggest DeWalt power tool rechargeable batteries? They have models that are the same voltage and capacity as other "professional" video and film batteries, but at a fraction of the cost for the batteries, mounting plates and chargers. Several operators have done this and reported excellent results.

Jim "affordable alternative expert" Bartell

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

IDX

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus