1 reply to this topic

#1 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Just wanted to relay a story about the customer service and support and generosity of the guys running GPI these days.

My gimbal developed a problem where, when sliding the gimbal down the centerpost while balancing, it would occasionally lock in place (as though something were jammed inside it). I noticed this only happened when moving down the post, not up it.

During some down time on set, I removed my Upper junction and DB3 and removed the gimbal (something not everyone's gear can do, takes less than 60 seconds). I think I'm fairly clever, but I couldn't tell what might cause it. I reassembled my sled and finished my day. Yesterday, I hopped in my car and drove up to GPI.

Thankfully, the sled wasn't like a bad car and actually displayed the problem on the workbench. Jack and Chad looked it over and noted to me that apparently my VZ was one of the earliest ones produced, so the guts were different. I was already uncertain of the cost to repair, what has to change, what was just wear and tear, but I definitely brought my checkbook.

"Congrats, you get a free upgrade!" And that was that. Chad spent 5-10 minutes swapping the necessary parts, reassembled the sled, and I was good to go!

Here's and instance where they manufactured something one way, realized a flaw, corrected it in future models and even repaired my gimbal (replacing the old parts) for free.

Equipment is great. Lots of great manufacturers out there, all with strengths and weaknesses. So, if all things are equal, you should go beyond the gear and consider who gives you the greatest amount of support. You will need service, you will need support, and you will need a vendor who's got your back and wants to see you succeed.

Meanwhile, I'll be saving to buy a second PRO rig down the road...

Feel free to share other stories?

#2 Alex Kornreich

Alex Kornreich

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just wanted to relay a story about the customer service and support and generosity of the guys running GPI these days.

My gimbal developed a problem where, when sliding the gimbal down the centerpost while balancing, it would occasionally lock in place (as though something were jammed inside it). I noticed this only happened when moving down the post, not up it.

During some down time on set, I removed my Upper junction and DB3 and removed the gimbal (something not everyone's gear can do, takes less than 60 seconds). I think I'm fairly clever, but I couldn't tell what might cause it. I reassembled my sled and finished my day. Yesterday, I hopped in my car and drove up to GPI.

Thankfully, the sled wasn't like a bad car and actually displayed the problem on the workbench. Jack and Chad looked it over and noted to me that apparently my VZ was one of the earliest ones produced, so the guts were different. I was already uncertain of the cost to repair, what has to change, what was just wear and tear, but I definitely brought my checkbook.

"Congrats, you get a free upgrade!" And that was that. Chad spent 5-10 minutes swapping the necessary parts, reassembled the sled, and I was good to go!

Here's and instance where they manufactured something one way, realized a flaw, corrected it in future models and even repaired my gimbal (replacing the old parts) for free.

Equipment is great. Lots of great manufacturers out there, all with strengths and weaknesses. So, if all things are equal, you should go beyond the gear and consider who gives you the greatest amount of support. You will need service, you will need support, and you will need a vendor who's got your back and wants to see you succeed.

Meanwhile, I'll be saving to buy a second PRO rig down the road...

Feel free to share other stories?

Too many to list them all. But one sticks out particularly well in my mind.

I was on a feature in New York flying a Panavision GII, which is quite a beast. I had 4 black canisters turned up 1/4-1/2 way. On a Friday morning while balancing, on the VZ gimbal grip, I stupidly tightened the screw too much on the clamp BEFORE closing the clamp that locks the gimbal onto the post. When I went to close the clamp and forced it closed, the clamp snapped off and therefore made me incapable of locking the VZ gimbal to the post. With the help of grips I was able to finish out the day using some grip gear to keep the gimbal and grip in place.

I called PRO, told them the problem, and they shipped me the new part from LA to NY, overnight for early Saturday morning delivery, with no charge whatsoever. And Jack spent an hour on the phone with me Saturday night walking me through the repair. No business has ever done something like that for me before.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

IDX

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions