8 replies to this topic

#1 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I have a feature out of town and I am trying to figure out what to do about a cart. Something I could check on Southwest would be ideal. I like my current custom built cart but even collapsed it is going to be too big and heavy to check as luggage and looks like with UPS it would be something like $200 each way. Southwest says weight has to be under 100 pounds and W+L+H have to equal 80inches or less.

-A Yaeger Junior cart seems perfect for travel but according to their website it is a half inch too big.
-I like the general design of backstages steadicam cart but according to their catalog it weighs 120 pounds.
-Also looks like the Magliner / Filmtools carts are over 80 inches.

Is anyone flying with their cart? Should I just give up on the idea of a real Steadicam cart that I can fly with?

~Jess

#2 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

The only time I've flown with my full cart is when production has an account with the airline cargo division. You have to be a recognized / shipper to use air cargo which is nothing more than a process of being checked out in advance but it still takes weeks. The savings are huge though as I've been able to ship my entire cart and six cases totaling 591 lbs for roughly $1 a pound...at production's expense of course. Much less than checked baggage and no size / weight restrictions. You drop and pick up your gear at the cargo center not inside the airport.

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

My yeager jr is jist over 100 but it has a bunch of extra aks...My guess is that a stock one would be around 90? I used to fly all the time with my stock magliner (no shelf or aks) but that was in the 99's and I know much has changed. I bet all these news/reality guys have maginers and check them on.

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I am sure I could probably get by flying with a magliner or yaeger most of the time but I don't really want to rely on not running into that one asshole who won't let me home with my cart. If they can turn it around quick enough and the price is right a custom yaeger might be the answer. I really would like to stay with the sled in over the cart design anyway.

~Jess

#5 Chris Callarman

Chris Callarman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

I used to travel with my Magliner but it was getting beat up. Now I use a cheap Home Depot convertible cart. Its not that great for working off of but perfect for getting to and from the airport, gig and hotels. I also strap a stand under the bed between the wheels, so I don't have to worry about fitting it into a case, plus the cart is still functional in that config.

#6 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

This looks pretty cool:

http://inovativcarts.com/The-Scout

#7 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

"I bet all these news/reality guys have maginers and check them on"
We rarely fly with any carts, we use PA's, much cheaper than the luggage charges.

#8 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

I forgot that magliner makes a mini version too. Bummer no carts Ozzie. I remember carrying cases waaay back when I was velcro-ing weights to my rig

#9 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

I have a feature out of town and I am trying to figure out what to do about a cart. Something I could check on Southwest would be ideal. I like my current custom built cart but even collapsed it is going to be too big and heavy to check as luggage and looks like with UPS it would be something like $200 each way. Southwest says weight has to be under 100 pounds and W+L+H have to equal 80inches or less.

-A Yaeger Junior cart seems perfect for travel but according to their website it is a half inch too big.
-I like the general design of backstages steadicam cart but according to their catalog it weighs 120 pounds.
-Also looks like the Magliner / Filmtools carts are over 80 inches.

Is anyone flying with their cart? Should I just give up on the idea of a real Steadicam cart that I can fly with?

~Jess

Thats never going to be an issue. I have cases that violate those dimensions everytime I fly, anywhere in the world, and if its within a couple of inches, there has never been an issue.

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Teradek

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX