• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 chris bangma

chris bangma

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

We are offering the last of the generation 1 monitors at greatly reduced prices. This is the lowest we have ever offered the Cinetronic monitors, and the lowest they will be for some time.

7" 16:9 Cinetronic monitor $4000 ($800 off)
6.5" 4:3 Cinetronic monitor $3800 ($1000 off)

Orders can be placed at www.film-stuff.com

#2 Andrew Ansnick

Andrew Ansnick

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 137 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Where's Will with the "Mother of God" picture when you need him? Stop tempting me to pickup a backup monitor Chris!

#3 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

We are offering the last of the generation 1 monitors at greatly reduced prices. This is the lowest we have ever offered the Cinetronic monitors, and the lowest they will be for some time.

Will these be upgradable and at what price?

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Will these be upgradable and at what price?

I'm sure they will. Those that own the "old" (current) monitors are fist in line for the upgrades.

#5 chris bangma

chris bangma

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Yes, they will be upgradeable. The price will be around $1000. There are not too many Gen 1 monitors left though, so when they are gone, thats it, until the Gen 2, which will be at full price.

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Yes, they will be upgradeable. The price will be around $1000. There are not too many Gen 1 monitors left though, so when they are gone, thats it, until the Gen 2, which will be at full price.

smoking deal Chris!

#7 Benjamin Treplin

Benjamin Treplin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 298 posts
  • Berlin - Germany

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

It's a bit hard to tell if that's a smoking deal without knowing the full price for the 2nd Gen.

#8 Stavros Papastavrou

Stavros Papastavrou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Also...

It would be nice to know the estimated availability/arrival time of the gen2 monitors for first time buyers...

Stavros

#9 Dan Ayers

Dan Ayers

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 65 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Any opinions on which one to buy? 6.5" or 7"?

Thanks
Dan

#10 chris bangma

chris bangma

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

The price for the Gen 2 monitors will be $4800. The monitors will be available to first time buyers after the upgrades are complete. We are estimating September-October.

#11 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

Any opinions on which one to buy? 6.5" or 7"?

Thanks
Dan

I went with the 6.5" 4:3 Cinetronic because I was coming from a 4:3 PRO monitor, and despite mostly doing HD gigs, wanted to stay with what I knew. Also, on the 4:3 monitor, when a 16:9 image comes up, I get black bars on top and bottom. When Chris' digital level is released, the level should place the image over the black bar at top or bottom, instead of on my image.

Also, I actually wanted the smaller image so I could take in more of what I was shooting, scan the corners quicker and memorize the shot dynamics.

#12 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

Without getting my trigonometry calculator out.. what is the effective size of a 16:9 image on a 4:3 monitor?

Can the 16:9 monitor zoom to make the image smaller?

If it can zoom will we be able to place the bubble into the black space?

I'll buy the first waterproof high brightness monitor. In a country where it rains all the time; weather gear kills visibility on LCD's so if I don't need the weather gear I'll buy it. I think I'll wait till september.

#13 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thomas,

Disclaimer: found the following myself on a piece of paper yesterday. If there's anything to correct I can do so later today, though Chris will probably beat me to it:

The 16:9 in the 6.5" monitor is about the size of a TB-6 display (6 inch diagonal) the black bars are nearly half an inch thick. Plenty of room for a level above or below.

The 4:3 on the 7" monitor is slightly larger than the 4:3 on the 6.5" monitor. Save for most anything on a ground glass (which I assume you could zoom larger), this monitor (without zooming the image smaller) would require scanning to see the whole image.

Chris told me at Cinegear there will be a zoom out feature, though I do not recall if it is already present or will be new for the Gen 2 monitor. Regardless, I believe the electronic level will not be avail until the Gen 2 is out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall you probably can't go wrong with either size. Great monitor regardless. With the 7" and a zoom function you have the option of using the 6.5" size and bigger (and smaller?). The 7" is more popular on a 5:1 ratio.

#14 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Its a preference thing. I love my 7". Its a 16:9 world and I don't wish to own anything 4:3 ever again. That's just me though. To each their own.

#15 chris bangma

chris bangma

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

With the Gen 2, you can zoom out, and make the image the size of a postage stamp, so there will be plenty of space for level info. The size of the level can also be adjusted, and in the small setting will fit under the bottom frameline.

Without getting my trigonometry calculator out.. what is the effective size of a 16:9 image on a 4:3 monitor?

Can the 16:9 monitor zoom to make the image smaller?

If it can zoom will we be able to place the bubble into the black space?

I'll buy the first waterproof high brightness monitor. In a country where it rains all the time; weather gear kills visibility on LCD's so if I don't need the weather gear I'll buy it. I think I'll wait till september.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies