• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Just worked with the red epic for the second time. The first came with it's own follow focus set up so I paid no attention. This time, using mine, I had to go off the dog legs on the plate which I never really like. Seems like with all those screw holes there should be a decent rod system to screw in the side of the cam. Anyone know of anything?

#2 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm doing my first Epic show now. I'm using the lightweight rods in the front to mount the Preston motors. There's also 15mm rods on the top (cameras from Keslow), which also could be used for motor mounting. For me, the camera needs the additional weight of the rods, plus I have the Boxx and on board battery on the 15mm rods for extra ballast.

I'm not sure if all Epics have the lightweight rods in front of the body, or if that's an aftermarket item.

#3 Kyle Wullschleger

Kyle Wullschleger

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

The 15mm light weight rods are an aftermarket option.

I'm having trouble envisioning what you're thinking about coming off the side of the camera?

The good and the bad of the Epic is there are literally infinite ways to rig the camera and so whatever 1/4"-20 plates/rails etc one person has won't be the same for the next.

A far as I know, I haven't seen anyone send a rod off of the side plate of a camera like I think you are describing, typically the motors are mounted off of a baseplate or top plate rod connection.

Does your setup have a studio baseplate for 19mm rods?

I own an Epic and I've got 19mm rods across the top and I mount my motors from there.

#4 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I work mainly with Epics and Scarlets and usually try to use top mounted 19mm rods. The problem with the bottom 15mm rods is that they hit the body, so if they are a bit too long, they may appear in a wide lens shot.

#5 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

I keep a 15mm Berkey System rail block in my kit, and I just mount it with one iris rod to the top plate.

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies