Rich Davis

#4 Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well???
What was there to see? Anything really good? For those of us who were not able to be there, please tell all...

Grayson Grant Austin, SOC

#5 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Grayson,
I'm sure others will expand but definitely some very cool stuff to see this year:

-Over at Tiffen there was Chris's Exovest. Still a prototype but interesting nonetheless. I tried one on at the Stabilizer expo on Sunday. I spent a few minutes in it and all I can say (IMHO) is that I think Chris might be on to something.
-Two new gimbals over at PRO offered in descending order in price and features. The first loses the VZs drop-time tuner but keeps the clamp. The second loses tuner and clamp and secures with a kipp. Also, a new sled at PRO with a fixed post and a two battery configuration.
-Mr. Bartell has gone Long Beach-style Game of Thrones and is now slaying iris dragons with a two-channel handset. I did NOT see this contraption, but another op mentioned this might be available as an upgrade to existing units (Jim?).

Dave

Edited by David Baldwin, 04 June 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

The exo-vest was very interesting, I'd like to try it again. The stuff at Pro was fabulous as usual. Nebtek had a nice little 5.6" 800 nit monitor that performed well in the daylight and weighed next to nothing. SmallHD has a really sweet 7" daylight viewable monitor in the works.

Cinetronic wasn't there but I got to see the new smaller housing to get an idea of the new size -- it will be a really nice size/weight and a bit brighter than it's big brother, according to Chris. There is a bubble in the works as well.

Greg Bubb had a new hd/sd bubble coming soon -- it is badly needed and will no doubt be the shiznit.

All the above was wonderful to see/get teased with, but I think the best part of CineGear was the Steadicam Guild meeting with Cassidy, Presley, Tiffany, Sophia, Carmen, Fiona, Yvonne, Stephanie and...of course, Lola :blink:

#7 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

-Mr. Bartell has gone Long Beach-style Game of Thrones and is now slaying iris dragons with a two-channel handset. I did NOT see this contraption, but another op mentioned this might be available as an upgrade to existing units (Jim?).

Upgrade is $965 not including labor: http://www.steadicam...t=0 Also looks like the ability to plug a digital microforce in to the bartech to make it a full FIZ is coming.

Pro is doing a whole line of lower priced components to make the lower priced sled. They are bringing back the DB2 as a lower priced donkey box, as well as a fixed post, a 2 battery battery holder and the lightweight arm.

#8 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

I think the best part of CineGear was the Steadicam Guild meeting with Cassidy, Presley, Tiffany, Sophia, Carmen, Fiona, Yvonne, Stephanie and...of course, Lola :blink:

As BOG members of the SOC Kenji and I welcomed our newest members Cassidy, Presley, Tiffany, Sophia, Carmen, Fiona, Yvonne, Stephanie and...of course, Lola

#9 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

And proud we are of all of them!

#10 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Well???
What was there to see? Anything really good? For those of us who were not able to be there, please tell all...

As far as our world is concerned:

Tiffen:
  • showed off their ExoVest, gathering more interest and momentum. Very open design, room to breathe and great ventilation. Also has mounting options for front and back mounted vest styles.

GPI-PRO:
  • debuted a "lighter" sled featuring a few components that are interchangeable with the existing PRO components.
  • Gen IV battery base, 2 battery positions only, extendable rear battery position, I think total weight is 1.7lbs
  • "light" upper j-box and lower j-box, I forget the specifics
  • reintroduced the DB2 as the donkey box for this "light" sled (same specs as the original DB2, no limit to it's weight tolerance).
  • 18" fixed length centerpost
  • as David Baldwin indicated, new gimbal options: VZ (obviously), clamping w/no VZ, kipp handle clamping, and I think an option to go grip-less (handle the centerpost)?
  • Atlas arm full debut: 2 canisters in a new skeleton, 1 front and 1 back. Weighs approximately 1.5lbs more than existing 4-can "Titan" arm, but occupies far less space (the sections without a canister are flat, low profile bones).
  • "grey" canister with 25-30% greater lift capacity than the black canisters. 2 greys in your "Atlas" arm gives you upwards of 50lbs sled. 4 greys in your existing 4-canister "Titan" arm gives lifting capacity of a 92lbs sled (as was the big event at 1:00PM). The "Titan" arm will accept grey canisters, it's well within tolerances for springs that strong.

Hopefully GPI PRO updates their website soon with all this new information.

Jim Bartell stealthily showed off his plans for an upgrade to the Bartech single channel to become 2 channels (works with an analog and digital receiver, or two digital receivers). Bolts on an Iris slider to the side. Also, plans are in the works to offer a 3-channel Bartech solution using Preston Microforce or Libec zoom controller plugged into the bottom of the Bartech hand unit. Probably will require 2-3 BDR's. Either way, looks like a cool, scalable way to offer 3-channels at a lower cost.

Peter Hoare showed off his new Axis system (visible here) with a new transmitter and receiver and his new HPM-1 digital motor. The responsiveness was remarkably fast (that's just in my opinion, I'm sure seeing it will impress anyone) and affordable at about $1800? Standard digital motor connections, works with Preston or BDR.

Chris Bangma with Cinetronic had the new housing to show off: touch-screen buttons on the front, customizable backing plate for if you want to add a battery plate to it. Other details, I'll leave up to him, but I did hear it'll be 30% brighter than current gen Cinetronic monitors.

Dan Kane from a new company called Paralinx released the Arrow, a WHDI latency free, uncompressed HD transmitter with advertised 320' line of sight and 200' "obstructed" (depending on the obstructions, this needs testing). I preordered one, and plan on giving reviews here as well as feedback to Dan. Price was $995, but is HDMI only. Powers off 5v USB connectors. The performance at the Stabilizer Expo on Sunday seemed pretty solid, especially when considered against the price.

Any other new products relevant to Steadicam or camera operators?

#11 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

I believe it was BackStage that had a new hard mount socket block option? Also saw it on Randy Nolen's rickshaw at the Mk-V booth.

#12 Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Any photos of the 2 battery lightweight base out there?

#13 Andrew Ansnick

Andrew Ansnick

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 137 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Will - In regards to the PRO stuff I have a few things to add:
  • Modularity between all parts PRO makes, there aren't really two different rigs, more of a "modular sled system" and you can configure it however your needs/budget dictates/allows.
  • GenIV battery hanger is 12/24v capable.
  • The upper and lower j-box/center post cable are identical to the current ones offered in their full featured sled/hd upgrade. They did however debut the addition of a tally system through the post. Awesome and very much needed for the live guys. I believe Jack will also be offering to add the tally upgrade to all current HD systems (not sure of price yet).
  • The resurrected DBII will be an improved version in that you can access all four mounting holes at once without having to chase them down individually. There is also a new MDR mount available for this stage to eliminate the "diving board" effect from the original one as well as add the quick release function. All parts will be made available to existing DBII owners for service/repair!
  • I'm pretty sure there won't be an option to go grip-less with the gimbals. I believe there is only the three options you stated (VZ, Non-VZ with clamp, Non-VZ with kipp) and all gimbal sleeves will utilize the same exact bearings, yoke, gimbal handle, etc.

Oh and the new Cinetronic will have improved weather-proofing, 1800 nits (increased from 1500), modularity and upgradability to all future incarnations, etc.

Grayson - I will take some pics of the new battery hanger tomorrow while I'm up at PRO.

#14 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Oh and the new Cinetronic will have improved weather-proofing, 1800 nits (increased from 1500), modularity and upgradability to all future incarnations, etc.

How do you improve weather-proofing? It's either weather proof or it isn't. I was under the impression the first generation monitors could withstand all but submersion.

#15 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

How do you improve weather-proofing? It's either weather proof or it isn't. I was under the impression the first generation monitors could withstand all but submersion.

now even the connectors will be flan-proof

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

IDX

Paralinx LLC

BOXX