7 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Reyes

Tony Reyes

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 30 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have now realized that I need a cheap return monitor. Is their a particular brand or size that you have found that works well?

Same with prompter. I have been told that both of these can be regular old composite. 

For example I see 4.3 inch monitors on Amazon for $35. I don't care about quality. I really just need to see what is in program. Is there a particular reason I should stray away from going ultra cheap? I'd kind of like to spend my dollars on other gear right now.

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I don't do much live stuff, so I don't have any myself, but a friend here in NYC does and recently bought a couple monitors off of Ebay for $20 each. Quality was actually not that bad. Hard to go wrong at that price too. I did some mods to them to make them plug nicely into his rig. I don't remember the brand (if there even was one), but I bet if you searched Ebay, you'd find them. Or just try the ones from Amazon.

#3 Dan Erbeck

Dan Erbeck

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 63 posts
  • Northern New Jersey

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

I use the Ikan 3.5 inch lcd SD monitor. Great size and relatively cheap. B&H has them

#4 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Go with the 4.3". But buy two or three, it will break

Modify the cable to plug into your rig

Tiffen has a great return monitor bracket that adjust to different monitor rods , see the Phantom•V

As far as the return monitor go with the 7" analog again modify the cables to fit your rig and then make a mounting bracket to attach to the top handle of the camera allowing the monitor to sit just above the lens

Hope that helps

#5 Dan Erbeck

Dan Erbeck

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 63 posts
  • Northern New Jersey

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

Im currently in the process of fabricating a bracket that can recieve a 1/4-20 screw and would slide and attach on to the cameras eyepiece mount. Combine that with a small bogan arm that has a 1/4-20 on it and you'll be able to achieve the placement of the prompter monitor where Rob said. If anyone's interested let me know.

#6 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

This bracket works for most Sony and Panasonic broadcast cameras.

Not made for a Monitor specifically but easy to drill the plate for one, and you can slide it side to side.

http://www.steadicam...h=1

#7 Tony Reyes

Tony Reyes

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 30 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up going with the ultra cheap 4.3" from Amazon. I'm planning on powering it from the D-tap by my battery.

I'm getting the idea that the quality of the prompter basically doesn't matter : ) The plan now is to power it from one of the Hirose connectors on my Master sled. Has anyone else done this with a Master sled?

John Perry recommended this one for a prompter:
http://xenarc.com/product/700yv.html

Don't know if it's worth spending $300 on this or just buying a cheap $80 7".

It'd be nice to be able to buy some inexpensive equipment for once! : )

#8 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Lots of the cheapie monitors have narrow ranges of acceptable voltages (and poor documentation.) So there's a chance of blowing up a "12V" monitor with an unregulated 14.4V (up to 16V right off the charger) from a p-tap. This goes for your prompter as well as the return monitor.

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications