3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Pickup

Steve Pickup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hello,
I purchased a Merlin 2 eariler this week and have just today been having a play. Using a 600D I've pretty muched nailed the balance but have just noticed a potential problem with my unit.

The bottom spur seem to be able to rotate so that the bottom weigths move out to the side. Now I relise you can open and close the arch but this side roation seems odd... if you look at the unit from the side there is a very small allen key bolt and its the black sheathing over the top that moves and can then cover over this bolt... its quite annoying because it moves when ever you lay it on its side leaving the bottom weight not in line with the unit, and throwing the balence way off.
I just want to check if this is somthing all units do or should I be returning it?

I'm not sure if i'm explaining this correctly so if no one under stand ill try and post a picture.

Any help much appreciated... apart form this seem like a great unit
Thanks,
Steve

#2 Steve Pickup

Steve Pickup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Here are a couple of images

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Chris Poynton

Chris Poynton

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Definitely looks like a phone call to Tiffen! Merlin 2 has been promoted as much more rugged than the original, so they would want to be aware of this issue. Keep us posted. There has been very little discussion re this new model on the forum so far. Has this issue been reported elsewhere on the web?

#4 Steve Pickup

Steve Pickup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi All,
An update. Spoke with Tiffen UK yesterday evening and they confirm that I must have a faulty rig and to send it back to my supplier who they will contact to arrange and imediate replacement.
So far very impressed with Tiffen UK's support, hope it follows through. Good customer service really does make such a difference.
Overall impressed with the Merlin2... I have used the original a couple of years back (my memory is a little hazy) but assuming this issue is a one off it does seem more refined but tbh i'm not sure there is that much difference if you already own the Merlin 1.

Definitely looks like a phone call to Tiffen! Merlin 2 has been promoted as much more rugged than the original, so they would want to be aware of this issue. Keep us posted. There has been very little discussion re this new model on the forum so far. Has this issue been reported elsewhere on the web?

Edited by Steve Pickup, 25 May 2012 - 02:16 AM.

Teradek

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems