• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

Well, I posted a month or so ago about being a newbie, and I finally got my chance to fly for the 1st time.

I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone of the painfully awesome experience I had. Of course the rig wasn't balanced right, and of course the camera was too heavy, of course I only got about 3 sec. of useable footage out of a 10 sec. shot, and of course I didn't have water to drink- But I loved it!

Posted Image

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Well, I posted a month or so ago about being a newbie, and I finally got my chance to fly for the 1st time.

I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone of the painfully awesome experience I had. Of course the rig wasn't balanced right, and of course the camera was too heavy, of course I only got about 3 sec. of useable footage out of a 10 sec. shot, and of course I didn't have water to drink- But I loved it!

Posted Image

Ummmm, yeah, ummm oh screw it

nevermind

#3 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

I'm so intrigued in the art/science of this that I've signed up for the course in LA come June.

I hope to learn a lot more & purchase a rig soon. =]

Posted Image

#4 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

LOL, hey, I'm a PM/AD trying to get into your world. I will take any/all advice I you can give!

I am the last person that will be butt-hurt- trust me.

Posted Image

nevermind

#5 Andrew Ansnick

Andrew Ansnick

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 137 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

nevermind

:D No tips for an aspiring steadicam operator Eric?

Victor- fix your grip, that should help tremendously. Enjoy the class in June and learn all that you can.

#6 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

...like I said, it was my 1st time even putting on the rig.

So my hand placement was incorrect? Where is the "text book" placement? I honestly don't know this stuff guys. That's why I'm posting in the "Steadi-Newbies" section. Is there even an actual place that's according to manual? It felt more like I had to change my hand placement for each setup, i.e. glass, follow-focus, battery, etc. that we swapped out in each setup.

#7 Martin Newstead

Martin Newstead

• Sustaining Members
  • 22 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

...like I said, it was my 1st time even putting on the rig.

So my hand placement was incorrect? Where is the "text book" placement? I honestly don't know this stuff guys. That's why I'm posting in the "Steadi-Newbies" section. Is there even an actual place that's according to manual? It felt more like I had to change my hand placement for each setup, i.e. glass, follow-focus, battery, etc. that we swapped out in each setup.

Hi Victor,

Doing a course is the best move, they will teach you how to rig the gear properly and the correct hand placement. It looks like your rig was top heavy? That may explain why you felt you had to hold the sled at the bottom to counteract the balance.
The 'normal' hand placement is just below the gimble.

Hope you enjoy your course.

Martin

#8 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Victor,

The two other pieces of advice that are always given (for good reason) are:

1. Buy the EFP Training DVD
2. Buy the Steadicam Operators Handbook

Study them both relentlessly. Do your best to develop good habits and an understanding of the fundamentals even before your workshop.

#9 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

,hahaha eric

Btw i made a topic for newbie's, wich also contains the get a workshop
There is so much wrong with that picture you posted, its gonne be to much info to correct that on this forum, thats why the get a workshop line. Saves you lightyears of time.

Best

#10 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'll play ball,

Whats wrong with this picture.....

Rig looks like it's completely out of balance

The way you're gripping the gimbal/sled is completely incorrect

You're using an amateur camera stabilizer, not a proper Steadicam, any professional model would have a monitor at the bottom, a means to power the camera and/or accessories.

How much of that shot was in focus?
How would the director/DOP view the shot as it's happening or indeed without having to stand over your shoulder staring at the rig?
How are you going to power your wireless follow focus and wireless video link? both essential accessories in a professional environment.

Your stance is all wrong, the rig is positioned incorrectly next to your body.

Your posture doesn't look so great either, probably brought upon by your poor grip, stance and rig positioning combined, you are also probably flying a camera that is way beyond the official weight capacity of that rig.

Last but not least you're flying a glidecam......there's a reason why they are very cheap.

Edited by James Davis, 22 May 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#11 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi all;

I have nothing against Victor.

Good for him he's signed up for a class and he's excited to do what we do.

Here's the 'but'.

Here's a guy with no experience, who's just taken work from someone.

Even if it was an terribly low amount of money someone with some cheap gear could have done it.

And here's where I sound old. Its hard to find enough days to make a living in this business these days because its so diluted and Victor got a job with no knowledge.

I'm sure he'll tell us it was free, or a friend or whatever. Fine BUT when did the threshold of no experience get crossed?

JA

#12 Brant S. Fagan SOC

Brant S. Fagan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 407 posts
  • Charlestown, New Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Janice--

You're not that old!

The threshold was crossed as soon as the Producer realized he/she could take advantage of someone like Victor.

Producers will use any advantage to save a dollar (or perhaps even less!,) whether it's illicit or immoral is apparently of no consequence from their perspective. They got the shot, you got "Something" so everyone's happy, right? Wrong. This trend of blatant usury will self destruct both sides of the equation until folks stand up for themselves by showing some self respect, for the job, and the gear investment.

#13 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Janice: Oh jeez, I've taken no "work" from anybody. It's a friend's glidecam and epic package. All 3 of us come together when the stars align and we are all off on the same day and shoot stuff for fun. Or in this case, watch me struggle with the glidecam. =P

I wouldn't even dare trying to book work right now. I'll hopefully book something towards the beginning of next year, if that. I make my living ADing & PMing. I'll stay in my world for now. =P

Hi all;

I have nothing against Victor.

Good for him he's signed up for a class and he's excited to do what we do.

Here's the 'but'.

Here's a guy with no experience, who's just taken work from someone.

Even if it was an terribly low amount of money someone with some cheap gear could have done it.

And here's where I sound old. Its hard to find enough days to make a living in this business these days because its so diluted and Victor got a job with no knowledge.

I'm sure he'll tell us it was free, or a friend or whatever. Fine BUT when did the threshold of no experience get crossed?

JA

#14 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

The threshold was crossed as soon as the Producer realized he/she could take advantage of someone like Victor.

Producers will use any advantage to save a dollar (or perhaps even less!,) whether it's illicit or immoral is apparently of no consequence from their perspective. They got the shot, you got "Something" so everyone's happy, right? Wrong. This trend of blatant usury will self destruct both sides of the equation until folks stand up for themselves by showing some self respect, for the job, and the gear investment.

Brant.... he WAS the producer, and the AD and the PA. He posted his qualifications early in this thread

#15 Victor Chon

Victor Chon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I was the EP, Producer, Client, Agent, Director, AD, PA, Operator, but most importantly, Crafty & Catering for my friends that came along to help a brother out. LOL =P

Edited by Victor Chon, 23 May 2012 - 01:12 AM.

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

IDX

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications