2 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hey Everyone,
I just finished this show and thought I would share some shots I did. Some were running Don juan. Does anyone have any good tips for doing this. I have wanted to experiment with turning the bottom of my rig backwards so that the monitor is facing forwards like it would normally. BUt then you would have to mirror the image on the monitor and my monitor (the Marshall 6.5) doesn't do this. Has anyone every tried it?
Oh and No onboard recorder so sorry for the less than ideal way this is recorded... cheers Oh and its pretty short.

#2 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 882 posts
  • New York City

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Pretty nice stuff ! A few thoughts.

The headroom overall is a bit high and the lens is also a bit high. Might have felt more "centered" considering how wide angle the shots were in Don Juan if you boomed down the rig for the runs.

Nice leading, pretty clean horizons. Don Juan- I love it! Not for the faint of heart.

Now to the reversing the monitor trick. Turn the camera around. Re-balance. Panning is a rotational phenomenon and so your hand and brain will "get it" rather quickly if you reverse the camera/ monitor relationship.

The brutal part is tilting. You have to force your hand to unlearn the angular pressure that comes as second nature. Tilt up? Pinkie pressure. Now, tilting down is with pinkie pressure. It takes a force of will to get that going in the brain. But with a bit of practice, it can happen.

With an un-notched centerpost you can simply unlock the post clamp and spin 180 degrees. With a notched centerpost ( Pilot, Scout, Zephyr ) you will need to unlock the plate and turn the camera around.

Don't forget to remove all cables first. :)

Peter Abraham

#3 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yes, the frames are a bit wide. I was unhappy with the head room.. All of these shots I basically had one try at it. No practicing. The show was not the slowest paced.
Believe it or not I think part o the problem was that I was running a lot faster than the on cam people were. So they never actually ended up where I was expecting them. I should have tilted down a bit. But I was hoping that they would get a lot closer. I think if there were two takes I could have gotten it perfect.
I have a Action products gear. So turning the bottom of the sled around is pretty easy. I just need the appropriately optioned monitor now. I think it would work... It would be really nice to be able to see the frame the whole time while running. All of these I would balance So that there was a 3 second drop. So almost neutral. When you run this fast you end up feeling like you wanna know where your feet are going. So it would be a consistent look back, then forward, then back, then forward. You know, kinda split your time between the frame and what's in front of you. Just so you don't eat it.
Don't forget to high step it! :-)

The last shot actually goes up a long spiral staircase but I gave the guy a haircut for a second, so it had to go. :-)

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery