9 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Okay, so I don't know how rampant this problem is in the low-budget market, but it seems like every producer tries to low-ball me with the promise of working with me, "on an ongoing basis." How ridiculous is that? I fell for it a few times in the past, so now I usually hit them with this: 1) the first job is worked at my full day rate, and subsequent jobs are negotiated at a lesser rate (the more jobs, the lower the rate is.) or 2) A contract is written up expressly guaranteeing a specific number of jobs within a pre-determined time frame at a negotiated rate. I usually get the response, "I do not sign long-term contracts." They get indignant about that response, but they don't understand why I don't like being low-balled. The nerve of people.

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I tell them that I'll do the 1st time at my full rate, then the next one at 50%. They never bit because there really never is a next one (well, tbat and all the loser hacks out there giving it all away for nothing)

#3 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Why discount at all? Is the job going to somehow cost you less in rig payments, insurance, and gas to get there?

I've done it once and regretted it. Now I just turn it down with a smile and a "call me if your budget changes"

#4 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Reminds me of that story in the Steadicam Op handbook, about an operator asking for a production to pay for a part of his rig in exchange of 10 days of work for them... Maybe you can tell them to prepay multiple days...

More seriously, never give the first run for less, otherwise they will always compare your rate with the first time.

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Call this guy
Posted Image

#6 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

HAHA! I call this the Breathecam. the camera moves with every inhale from the op. It's not a problem, it's a feature!

#7 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think he has the camera on backwards. It is the next big thing in reality TV, just strap a camera to yourself and go, no need for pesky crews and if you don't edit you can get 24 whole 1 hour episodes in a day!

~Jess

#8 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I tell them it's show business, not show friends. Have a nice day!

#9 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Tell them you'll do it for half your usual rate for the first job as a break the ice kind of thing...., but you'll only be able to use one leg. Half for Half. Sounds fair doesn't it?

#10 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I once told them I would shoot for half, and give them the footage for the other half.

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions