3 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

I know this has been asked before, but it's the one thing that keeps tripping me up. I need to build a voltage regulator that takes unregulated 14.4v DC and outputs 5v 2a. I've seen a ton of schematics, but it's like a foreign language to me. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or something that I could easily understand? Thanks

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

If you want to do it cheap, just go buy a car-USB charger. It accepts variable input up to (and I think above) 14.4v DC and outputs 5V regulated. Get one that say it definitely goes to 2 amps, or just says it charges and iPad.

Open the sucker up, tear off the USB cover, clip the center two pins (they're data) and use the outer two pins for power. I forget which is hot and which is ground, but you can find that info online fairly easily.

I did the same thing for my HD reclocking redistribution amplifier, and it works great.

#3 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thanks william. I've actually done that before with other usb powered devices, but I didn't think it would put out 2 amps (most are just one amp). I didn't even think about the higher draw iPad compatible chargers. Thanks!

#4 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Just bought one off of Amazon. You were right. iPad specific chargers are 2.1 amps. Thanks again!

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

Wireless Video Systems