3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:54 AM

Finally got around to seeing this fine film. Many kudos to Steve Campanelli for lots of great work as usual. And how nice was it to hear Steve and AC Bill Coe given a shout-out by Clint at the Oscars?

One shot blew me away because of its sheer audacity, I'm assuming it was a Tom Stern call: about 10 minutes into the film, Steve does a crane step-off outside the gym and walks inside. The transition from exterior to interior is achieved with what looks like a good 5-stop iris pull, with none of the usual tricks to hide it; it's just a straight driving shot that opens up like a camcorder on auto iris. And wouldn't you know it, it works fine--it just takes a lot of balls to pull something like that off, I think.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:56 AM

Yeah great movie full of really subtle steadicam work. I also think their collaboration on Mystic river was equally impressive.

#3 Rudy Katkic

Rudy Katkic

• Sustaining Members
  • 5 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

And to think he started out his career as just another humble Canadian looking to make a name for himself.

#4 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 880 posts
  • New York City

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I caught that shout-out at the Oscars as well. Made me very proud of the fellows- clearly Mr. Campanelli has found a creative home with Malpaso. More power to him.

I just saw the film today, as a matter of fact. That iris pull is beyond gutsy and yet it works and doesn't disturb the feeling. Hell of a piece of work, the whole film. Elegant focus pulling as well, with what appears sometimes to have been bitchin' iris marks.

Peter Abraham
New York

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Camera Motion Research