8 replies to this topic

#1 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

We did some work for NBC overhere in europe a year ago. Boy, a year ago, never got paid, always excuses, then the W8 form isnt good, then the financiel guy isnt there, then the mailbox is down and so on and on. It isnt a small network, so we dont really understand this crap, but we will be sure about one thing, cash only next time.

#2 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

We did some work for NBC overhere in europe a year ago. Boy, a year ago, never got paid, always excuses, then the W8 form isnt good, then the financiel guy isnt there, then the mailbox is down and so on and on. It isnt a small network, so we dont really understand this crap, but we will be sure about one thing, cash only next time.

A nice registered letter with a Cease and Desist due to Copyright Infringement will do wonders... you may never work for them again.

Remember, that even as a "work-for-hire" employee, they have to pay you to own your work... period!

#3 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I've never sent a cease and desist letter about the copyright issue, but I have mentioned it to a producer once for a job that was late paying and all of a sudden a few days later, every camera person got paid, the lighting guys waited another month, but they sure got the camera ops paid quick...10 of us!

#4 Norbert von der Heidt

Norbert von der Heidt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Found this bit of info:

According to the U.S. copyright statutes, in a work-for-hire arrangement, the individual photographer never owns the copyright--the employer does. Work-for-hire agreements automatically exist when "EMPLOYEES" take pictures for their employers. For "FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHERS" to qualify for work-for-hire arrangements, the assignment must be specifically ordered or commissioned for use as a part of nine specific items noted in the legislation.

These nine items include a "contribution to a collective work" such as a newspaper, magazine, Web publication or broadcast. In addition, both parties can agree, in a written instrument signed by both, that the work shall be considered a work made for hire. In a work-for-hire arrangement, photographers do not have the right ever to negotiate for the rights to the photos taken as part of the assignment.

According to attorney Kurt Wimmer, "Importantly, either employment or a written contract is required to create a work for hire. If you take a freelance job and don't sign a written contract assigning the copyright to the publication, you own it. The publication only has a license to print/telecast/webcast it. The publication has to come back to you (for another license) for permission if it wishes to use it again or in a different medium."

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

THX, That is very usefull. There is a nice letter going there way, lets see if that speed things up, 12 months is long enough i guess

#6 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Job,
Was it NBC sports or network, what kind of show . . . . ?

I have connections there , maybe I can help?

#7 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Job,
Was it NBC sports or network, what kind of show . . . . ?

I have connections there , maybe I can help?

Carol Dibranco and
Phyllis
NBCUniversal Corporate Tax Dept.

Get a headache of those people. The keep sending back with all kind of excuses and W-8 forms.

#8 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Wooooah... sorry, I did not read and fully understand exactly what your problem was.

....[They] keep sending back with all kind of excuses and W-8 forms.

Before you send your letter. Did you send back the new W8 from that they had sent you?

I have had vendors refuse to pay until they got the "New W9" (which I assume there is a New W8) filled out from me. The IRS must be putting down the foot on companies with independent contractors... so this may not be too unusual.

What is not acceptable is that many times these companies will sit on your money until you call them to see why you have not received your payment. Its really F'ed up sometimes, but they actually make in interest, while your funds sit in there accounts.

#9 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Wooooah... sorry, I did not read and fully understand exactly what your problem was.

....[They] keep sending back with all kind of excuses and W-8 forms.

Before you send your letter. Did you send back the new W8 from that they had sent you?

I have had vendors refuse to pay until they got the "New W9" (which I assume there is a New W8) filled out from me. The IRS must be putting down the foot on companies with independent contractors... so this may not be too unusual.

What is not acceptable is that many times these companies will sit on your money until you call them to see why you have not received your payment. Its really F'ed up sometimes, but they actually make in interest, while your funds sit in there accounts.

Oh yes, we have filled in several w8 forms THE had send us. And every time the find a new line that isnt filled in right. When i send it by email, the say its fine but need it by airmail. When send by airmail the find another line not filled in correct, but we agreed on how it was filled in. Anyway, the have a new show in the netherlands real soon, and i just finished calling all my collegue compagnys not to work for them then cash only. Thats whats gonna happen to them now, pay cash or dont call us. Dang, almost a year, BS

BOXX

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams