5 replies to this topic

#1 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I found out that my AA battery leaked. By the time I discovered it the alkaline has all dried up. I removed the batteries and did my best to clean up, with only marginal success. The dried alkaline around the battery connections is a little messy and large portion the metal casing is covered with it. My vibrating toothbrush with 99% alcohol is not working too well.

I primarily have 2 questions: 1, would Steadicam replace the battery compartment for free? if not free how much? 2, how do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I wouldn't expect Tiffen to replace the battery compartment for free. Unless they were Tiffen brand AA batteries, guaranteed not to leak. Unfortunately, that's just what alkaline batteries do if left unattended for long periods of time. You must have experienced this before in other electronics.

You could get a replacement from Tiffen. Shouldn't be too expensive. You could also easily get something similar to do the same job from Radio Shack for $10 or so. In the future, just don't leave your batteries sitting for so long. Take them out if you're not going to use them for a while.

#3 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Leonard;

google how to clean up alkaline battery mess.

It isn't alcohol.

You've got to neutralize the acid. Just a few q-tips or a reg toothbrush can work too.

Relax not hard but when you're done just let it dry out and try it the rig may well work fine.

Use it til you see the need to replace it and do what Afton said.

#4 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks guys. I knew I should've googled first before phoning a friend....

The plastic compartment where you put your 10 batteries in is pretty much cleaned up with vinegar. The metal part that you slide the batteries in, though, is a different story. It's looking better but still pretty messed up. I'll get some baking soda.

#5 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Leonard;

You've done the neutralizing witht he vinegar.

If its dry just try new batteries, I bet it works fine.

The wire battery leads can be a lot of things but they don't have to be new looking.

I think you're fine.

Its happened to all of us over the years in every object that holds a battery and guess what they still work.

(perfect never happens in my world.)
JA

#6 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thank you Janice. You are right. It is working fine now. I did get baking soda but you are right, it made no difference.

Thanks again people.

Leonard

Teradek

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions