1 reply to this topic

#1 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

This was bantered about a bit earlier but it must be buried in a thread, and the search function won't unearth it for me. The question revolved around using the SD video line as a second HD-SDI line. Does it work, how marginal is it, etc.?

I had a little time to test with my Marshall monitor, which has an SDI "signal strength" indicator.

Pumping HD-SDI video down the HD-SDI line, jumpered from the sled to monitor with SDI-rated RG-179, the meter registered 90%.

Sending HD-SDI video down the SD line, through the Hirose power/video connector supplied by Tiffen to the monitor, the meter registered 80%.

Being curious, I partially disassebled the topstage and looked at the cables in the loom. Both connectors were wired with what appear to be the same type of RG-179 coax.

So, a good robust HD-SDI signal from both connections.

#2 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

This was bantered about a bit earlier but it must be buried in a thread, and the search function won't unearth it for me. The question revolved around using the SD video line as a second HD-SDI line. Does it work, how marginal is it, etc.?

I had a little time to test with my Marshall monitor, which has an SDI "signal strength" indicator.

Pumping HD-SDI video down the HD-SDI line, jumpered from the sled to monitor with SDI-rated RG-179, the meter registered 90%.

Sending HD-SDI video down the SD line, through the Hirose power/video connector supplied by Tiffen to the monitor, the meter registered 80%.

Being curious, I partially disassebled the topstage and looked at the cables in the loom. Both connectors were wired with what appear to be the same type of RG-179 coax.

So, a good robust HD-SDI signal from both connections.

Hey Mark,

I'm not speaking from any technical standpoint, but a purely empirical one. I use the "SD" port exclusively on my rig as it cuts down on clutter. I even loop it through my monitor and out to a wireless transmitter sometimes. I haven't had any issues yet.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

IDX