• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leo Ticheli

Leo Ticheli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Balancing the Merlin on the Docking Bracket is an easy job, but my rig will not hold the trim. Just lifting it off and moving the camera for a few seconds throws it off considerably. Everything seems very tight with no discernible movement or loose bits, but when the rig is returned to the Docking Bracket it's easy to see how far off it is, usually tilting up about 15 to 20 degrees and over to the side by slightly less.

I've tried going a little too far top and bottom heavy with no change in results.

Operating with the vest and arm is requiring frequent adjustments.

The post on the Docking Bracket is straight up and canted on the arm; just moving the handle from vertical to angled seems to be the culprit.

Could my gimbal have too much play?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've tried calling the technical service number, but get a busy signal every time.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Balancing the Merlin on the Docking Bracket is an easy job, but my rig will not hold the trim. Just lifting it off and moving the camera for a few seconds throws it off considerably. Everything seems very tight with no discernible movement or loose bits, but when the rig is returned to the Docking Bracket it's easy to see how far off it is, usually tilting up about 15 to 20 degrees and over to the side by slightly less.

I've tried going a little too far top and bottom heavy with no change in results.

Operating with the vest and arm is requiring frequent adjustments.

The post on the Docking Bracket is straight up and canted on the arm; just moving the handle from vertical to angled seems to be the culprit.

Could my gimbal have too much play?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've tried calling the technical service number, but get a busy signal every time.

Leo

I have seen merlin dovetail plates that don't clamp tight enough and that would create the problem you are talking about

#3 Leo Ticheli

Leo Ticheli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thank you, Eric,

The plate seems to be quite tight; I certainly can't move it while it's locked.

Leo

#4 Leo Ticheli

Leo Ticheli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Support at Steadicam is fantastic! A new gimbal will be at my door on Monday! Can't say enough good things about them.

Leo

#5 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi Leo,
Glad we got it sorted out for you. Please do let us all know how the rig is behaving with the new gimbal. Any questions or concerns regarding set up and use of the Steadicam, let us know here and we'll work with you.

Best,
Peter

Peter Abraham
Director of Technical Services, Steadicam®
GM, Steadicam Workshops Program
The Tiffen Company
90 Oser Avenue
Hauppauge NY 11788

(917) 453-1219
(845) 595-2270 Fax
pabraham@tiffen.com
http://www.thesteadicamworkshops.com