#1 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

We as a community tell people this all the time, but I just found this link on the SOA site. If you won't listen to all of us, please listen to GB:

#2 Andrew Ansnick

Andrew Ansnick

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 137 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

This thread should be sticky'd to the top! I took an SOA workshop a few years ago and I would highly recommend it to anyone. If you want to learn how to operate steadicam properly, take a workshop. If you think you might want to make a career of operating steadicam but you're not sure, take a workshop. If you started out by teaching yourself and have been operating for a while and haven't yet taken a workshop, take a workshop.

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Reading a book and watching a DVD will not make you a steadicam operator and sadly that is often the advice given.

Go to a workshop, don't think that you can skate by or that a workshop is too expensive especially if you think that you might want to try to make a living at this.

#4 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 147 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

I´m excercising for more than two years now, but still think I make mistakes and it could done better. I think it´s like sport training: you need an experienced coach who tells you what´s wrong and shows you what you can do in a better way.

So I´m looking forward to the 6-days workshop I´ll attend end of April and I´m sure I´ll learn a lot of new things.

#5 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 636 posts
  • London

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Absolutely wolfgang, I had five minutes with Robin at BVE and straight away he elimnated two inefficient parts of my technique that didn't even occur to me to were incorrect.

A workshop is on the list for my next investment right after I get a vest that fits me properly!

#6 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Alec, for pointing out GB's video clip.

Clearly, workshops are the best way to learn this skill, and to inspire operators to do the best work.

As one of the authors of The Steadicam Operator's Handbook, and an "author" of the most comprehensive training DVD and of numerous manuals, and head instructor at nearly 100 workshops and counting, I'll say it again, just like we say it in the book, a good workshop is the best way to learn Steadicam Operating.

#7 Ryan Brooks

Ryan Brooks

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

I have been interested in Steadicam for years so I decided to take a 2 day workshop, without ever having put on a Steadicam. I enjoyed it so much that a couple months later I took another 2 day workshop. I would have gladly paid double the cost and I can't thank the operators enough for the knowledge they have given me.

#8 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hear that, Peter? You're not charging enough!

#9 Stephen Wymer

Stephen Wymer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • Oklahoma City

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I took my first two day big rig workshop about a year and a half ago and was amazed at how informative and educational it was. One of the best decisions I made. I am extremely excited to be attending the Lake Arrowhead workshop in a couple weeks, and I'm sure it will be a humbling experience.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone taken both the SOA workshop and the Tiffen Steadicam workshop. Were there any major differences between the two?

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC