#1 Kelsey W. Smith

Kelsey W. Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hello. Do anyone know if the Red One start/stop cable will work on the Epic-X?

Thanks
Kelsey W.

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 385 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

No, the EPIC has a 4 pin LEMO with completely different pinouts, and requires a circuit between the follow focus receiver and the body. I heard Preston was working on a cable, but I'm not sure what's been completed in that arena.

#3 WillArnot

WillArnot

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 294 posts
  • New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just unpacked my Fed Ex. Attached File  Epic on:off.JPG   393.91KB   164 downloadsIt basically is a male BNC. Another genius idea from Red. Like Tom said, there is a 0B 4p Lemo out of the Epic body that breaks out to 3 female BNC connectors. One of them being the on/off.
Nothing like having 1 small box that requires 4 other (at least) boxes to be attached to it to make it work. And the cables that are then relied on to connect those peripherals are always 100% reliable.

#4 Matt Petrosky

Matt Petrosky

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 190 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Just unpacked my Fed Ex. Attached File  Epic on:off.JPG   393.91KB   164 downloadsIt basically is a male BNC. Another genius idea from Red. Like Tom said, there is a 0B 4p Lemo out of the Epic body that breaks out to 3 female BNC connectors. One of them being the on/off.
Nothing like having 1 small box that requires 4 other (at least) boxes to be attached to it to make it work. And the cables that are then relied on to connect those peripherals are always 100% reliable.

CLASSIC!!!

#5 Peter Hoare

Peter Hoare

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 360 posts
  • London

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

The connector that comes out of the red is a 00 4pin lemo, even smaller than 0b. It carries timecode info and the GPIO which is what you use for runstop. You have to pull the GPIO pin up to 3v3 and hold it there for the camera to record, its a very awkward system. I have built a few run cables for our HFP system, very fiddly to solder.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hi everyone .
PLC the company behind the BDR receiver have now released there New BDR Run/Stop cable here are all the details
This new cable will provide the 3.3v start /stop signal the Red Epic camera requires.Simple plug in the f Stop Wireless BDR ,the Red Epic camera and the powerto the f Stop BDR on/off
cable box and you are ready to go . On /Off :BNC Female Connector. Price $200

I have just ordered several so I will let you know when I get them in the next week or so.

Attached Files

#7 Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 90 posts
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Louis,

Im guessing there is a battery in the black box to supply the 3.3v? Or does that come directly from the BDR?

Cheers

#8 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Louis,

Im guessing there is a battery in the black box to supply the 3.3v? Or does that come directly from the BDR?

Cheers

Joe I would say not as there is a 2pin OB Lemo at one end of the black box(for power) at the other end there is a OB lemo(4 pin) plug for the standard red on/off plug (I think )That is how it reads on there web site .When I get it I will let you know exactly ok.

#9 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

A little bit disappointed that it requires an external power supply instead of having a battery in it. Overcomplicates things and requires too many cables. Basically, with this solution, to start/stop the Epic with the BDR you now need:
1) BDR trigger box
2) 2-pin lemo power in
3) 4-pin lemo start/stop cable (Red start/stop)
4) Epic 00 Lemo to triple BNC breakout cable

All for start/stop. And then of course the BDR, power cable, and motor cable.

Too complicated. Much preferred would be a simple 4-pin lemo cable to the BDR, and BNC on the other end, with an inline box in the cable that holds its own battery.

#10 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hi Kar
I think you will find it's not that complicated .I have not had to use a Epic 00 Lemo to triple BNC breakout cable when using my preston ?
At least I can still use the red one (on /off) cable with the Epic . Thanks PLC for making it and as for RED they have screwed us again .And if you would like to power the Epic you will need to buy another cable as the Red 1 will not work with it.

#11 SergeiFranklin

SergeiFranklin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 39 posts
  • New York

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I would like the BNC to be on the case, not from a cable. There is no reason for a cable and eventually the cable will go and we will have to repair it.
Plus the Lemo to BNC from Red is long enough.

#12 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Will this only work with the BDR or also the analog BFD receiver? And if that's the case, I'm assuming they wired the pins so power could be looped through from the 2nd port on the analog BFD receiver? I don't have a BDR, but it looks as if there is not 2 power ports on it..

Edited by Mike Germond, 18 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#13 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I am planning on making up some bartech epic start/stop cables. Would people prefer a box with a 9v battery in it or an extra plug that plugs into the bartechs 2nd power port? (wont work with the digital receiver)

-Jess

#14 Pedro Guimaraes SOC

Pedro Guimaraes SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 204 posts
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

JUST for everyone's information, Cmotion's Cvolution now has a epic start stop cable........

#15 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

JUST for everyone's information, Cmotion's Cvolution now has a epic start stop cable........

So does preston

PLC - Bartech

Teradek

Boland Communications

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

IDX