Fabian Meller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Vienna - Austria

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hey there!

Since I was just bored and my back needs some rest from operating anyway I thought of putting my reel on the forum..

Somthing to mention: All the shots are from productions in 2010/2011 with a lightweight system. I took the SOA workshop in Fall 2011, though all those shoots were before then.

I'd like to hear all about the Steadi/camera work as well as the reel itself etc...
I appreciate your time :-)

#2 Amedeo Fabroni

Amedeo Fabroni

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 43 posts
  • Italy

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi Fabian,
the reel is well edited, I like it.
Great Steadicam work!!

#3 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Fabian,

I like your reel, the first 3 shots are good.

A couple of things though, on the escalator shot, there is a movement in the rig (at the end of the shot), that seems like it's a mistake from you. I'd edit this shot out before this movement occurs. And the shot in the asylum, where the talent is looking directly into the lens. I seldom like those shots (only when it's fiction, not commercials or music videos), they just give me a more feeling of a non-professional shot. I'm not saying it's a wrong shot, it could work well in the film you shot, but to me it kinda cuts the cord between me and the reel I'm looking at. So I would cut this shot out completely.

But the reel is looking good.

Keep up the good work!

All the best

#4 sebastien BARBARA

sebastien BARBARA

• Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nice work really !!

#5 Fabian Meller

Fabian Meller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Vienna - Austria

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thanks Amedo, Lars and Sebastien!

I've been aware of the wobbly ending on the escalator shot and I was really pissed with me, though for any reason I wanted it to be cut there...

Well, the shot in the padded cell is from a short movie - a very weird and sick one - so at least within the movie its an emotional shot. But I know what you mean - in the reel it's just one shot...

I think I won't re-edit it for now but I'll look out for thoses things when putting together my next reel! So that there's enough improvement to see :-)

Any other advice maybe?

Edited by Fabian Meller, 08 February 2012 - 05:09 PM.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems