Photo

How would you spend a 10000 budget on 2nd hand gear?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Mesiano

Matthew Mesiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

So, I have a dilemma. I want to start my professional steadicam career by purchasing a 2nd hand rig inc sled, arm and vest. But I don't know what to get, where to look or if my £10000 budget is enough? What I do know is that whatever the rig It must be capable of flying a full alexa set up. Let me know what you would do in my situation. Kind Regards,

Matt

#2 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Steadicam marketplace forum... is the place. ;)

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Since you want to fly an Alexa you need a full size rig and well.... 10K is a little cheap. You could probably get a suit and arm (Silver spring used, otherwise read the forum to see what to stay away from) for that money but that's it

You're still going to need a sled (Pro 1 is a good choice, maybe an EFP) Batteries (don't cheap out here you can fake operating you can't fake power) and a Follow Focus (BFD is the Bang for the dollar winner See what I did there Jim?)

Entry level for full size is going to be more like 20K and that's shopping wisely and not getting a follow focus

Good Luck

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Not sure you can get there on £10,000 or even £20k for a full sized rig with everything to fly a full Alexa package. As Eric said you'd need some very wise shopping and a bit of luck, maybe a lot of luck to put a package like that together.

Read the archives and current threads, then take your time and don't jump into it without doing extensive research and then talking to some established operators locally.

From personal experience I will tell you not to be in such a hurry that you end up like me on rig #4 before I had the right rig for any level of work that came my way. It was an expensive lesson.

In retrospect had I taken more time, gotten to know established operators, sought their advice, LISTENED TO THEIR ADVICE and had looked at all brands / options I'd have not wasted so much time and money in the long run.

Robert

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

If I were you, I'd buy my pro1 sled to get started on the right foot. Then a pelican 1730.

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

If I were you, I'd buy my pro1 sled to get started on the right foot. Then a pelican 1730.

Good call buy Ron's Pro 1 (Good luck getting the Lisagav off of it)

#7 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Used 3A vest in good shape not needing any repairs for a while...$1200-1500.
Used Gold Spring arm, 3A or EFP, but with Gold Springs with reversible socket block $6,000.
Still need a sled, wires, and Wireless Follow Focus.

how bout this idea...
Buy a vest, your gonna need it, a nicer 3A will work for years. So your out 1200-1500 for that. Then a used BFD with M-One motor $3500- 3800.
Now find someone who will rent you their arm and sled for a good rate (no one wants to rent you their vest and have your sweat all over it) and go out and work a few jobs, take those small profits, add to what you had left and ...Grab Ron's sled, then you only need to rent the arm for another few jobs till you order yourself a Silver Arm from Steadyrig, there, done, welcome to rig ownership!. While your saving up for the arm or sled, you can rent the Bartech and Motor to starting Jib ops and other steady starters...

My first rig was a Model 1 Sled, 3A gold spring arm with the silver knuckles, non reversible socket block $10,000, still needed to buy every cable I needed, Follow Focus, Eyepiece video tap and a Vest!!, Keep on the look out you'll find something.

You may even come across a used vest needing some repairs REALLY cheap, and Janice I believe can get your vest all repaired up!

Just a few days ago a Sled was sold 12/24 Volt with gimbal for $3,000!

Just come to the forum first before buying a rig from ebay that looks too good to be true, Lots of rigs on ebay are scams!, check here first!.

Ozzie

PS. I just re read your original post, did you say 10,000 Pounds sterling? that's $15,600 USD...At 1:13am EST 1/24/2012. Your not far off. You won't have all the cables you need, but hey, you only really need one to power the BFD, if you put a Dionic HC on the back of the Alexa, that takes care of that power, and get a bunch of extra Anton bauers for the Alexa from the rental house to use on your rig for the first job... Your close.
Go ask Ron what he has with his Pro 1, get that, a vest and get going!

#8 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

"you can fake operating but you can't fake power"!!!!!!! Awesome line bro!

I'll offer a counter point to all of the very good advice given so far.....

Don't get a focus unit as you can rent one from almost any rental house and half the AC's in the world. 9 times out of ten on a commercial or a music video the assistant or the DP have put a wireless unit on the camera order.

The same can be said for batteries. Most cameras that you will likely be using run on gold mount or v mount batteries. It's super easy to just have the assistant add a few batteries to the order to power your sled.

I agree with getting a used PRO sled. The really cool thing about a PRO is that you can upgrade it one piece at a time. I'd find a first gen PRO and make that the main cash purchase.

Finally, just get a loan or use a credit card and buy a new PRO arm. You can start with just 4 springs and add the other 4 as need and budget allow. That piece of equipment will quite literally last forever. It is at this moment still the best arm ever made so you will likely never need to upgrade it. I'd argue that most of the working 'big show' operators on this forum have PRO arms and I'd also guess that most Oscar winning movies shot in the last ten years have had steadicam operators that were flying PRO arms. My point here is that it's a very important piece of equipment that will never need to be upgraded or replaced.

For the vest either add that to your loan / credit card and get a new PRO vest (which will also last forever and is in the 'as good as it gets'). Or you can buy a used vest for pretty cheap and upgrade to a PRO vest when you can.

My answer is not right or wrong, it's just one option. As with anything you have to figure out what the best move is for your specific situation.

#9 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Ron, can you send me some info about it.

#10 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Matthew,
Norbert von der Heidt has a 3A vest for sale right now, just posted it.!!

#11 David M. Aronson

David M. Aronson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Arlington, VA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

My advice,
Step one, take a workshop. I don't know if you've had any experience operating before, but it's worth the money to go try it out for a week. You'll also get to try out a lot of gear and learn awesome technique.
Step two, buy a smaller rig like a second hand Flyer LE. There are a few going for around $5000 in the marketplace. A fully rigged Alexa can weigh 35lbs or more and by the time you add things like an arm, vest, and sled, you're easily strapping 80lbs of stuff to yourself. I don't care how strong you are or how much you can bench press, 80lbs is a lot of mass. (David's Story time! On one of my shoots, a grip was a Marine and wanted to try on my rig. He didn't last 10 minutes just wearing it, let alone shooting anything.
Step three, ??????
Step four, Profit

Hope this helps
-David

#12 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Matthew,