• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Harris

Nick Harris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

The topic pretty much sums it up. I'm a DP and have owned a cheap glidecam smooth shooter setup for years. It was always just a nice bonus to have on hand and as time has passed I've been doing more and more work on it. Now I feel like I've got enough chops to go out and start chasing down steadicam gigs for cameras like the F3, C300, or Red Epic. I will be posting some long takes eventually but thought it might be useful to have a reel that shows some diversity. Let me know what you think, good or bad!

-Nick Harris

#2 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi Nick,

welcome to the forum.

I think it's a decent reel. Some ok shots, music studio segment is good. But in general you seem to be struggling with not being able to limit unwanted movement in your footage. Perhaps this is a result of the 4000 series of Glidecam. Don't know, I've never encountered a unit from them before.

I would be careful not to use too much slow motion in my steadicam reel, as this can be seen as a way of cloaking unwanted movement. Even though the shot was intended to be slow motion for artistic reasons, showing off too much of it in a steadicam reel could be seen as negative thing.

Also I would get rid of one of the very first shots were you cut frames, the shot of the sign. (Napa Valley). In my opinion, a steadicam reel should just reflect your skills as an operator, and have as little "cool" cutting as possible.

The dancing sequence to me, has too many not good enough compositions. Too little head room and sudden tilts of the camera.

#3 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 345 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Some of the better work I've seen done on a Glidecam rig. Single section arm too if I'm not mistaken. Keep it up.

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions