• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 William Thomas

William Thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

I have just purchased a Merlin Steadicam and have watched the DVD that came with it and tried to set up from "scratch" and so far nothing too close. The pendulum action seems to be defeating me so far. The settings I am trying are as follows:

Front 1 mid weight, 1 finish weight
Bottom 1 start weight, 2 mid weights, 1 finish weight
Arc; 12" to centre of tube
Mounting hole "N"
Starting Plate -1
Gimbal Z -3

It comes close with my Canon 60D with 17-40 "L", but so far no cigar.

Any other suggestions or places I can check out?

I know that this has to be possible with the DSLR as I have seen videos that have them flying. I wish the instructional DVD would address the new DSLR use and drop the "Super 8" looking cameras they show you on.

Thanks for any help

#2 William Thomas

William Thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am getting close to being in balance...At least I think! The unit seems to sit level and stays "steadier" than when I just hand hold the camera, but it still seems to have the dreaded movement on the bottom weights. I am almost afraid to do too much weight removal and just try and fine tune cause this is as close as I have had it so far, but then I have only played with this for about three hours between today and yesterday. I am doing this in stages so I remain "sane" as I am not the most patient person in the world and I did realize this was going to be a "learning curve :rolleyes: So you might say that I now have a "semi" Steadicam, but close only counts in horseshoes! :P

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions