8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Going to pull the trigger on a fiber jumper (hopefully today) and would like some advice from live TV guys...

I know 6 feet is the typical length, but wondering if there are advantages to longer or shorter? It doesn't affect my cost. This is wrapped up (no pun intended) into the question of how you route your cable and where, and how you affix it to your vest.

I've read a lot of posts and tried a couple of options on coax jobs...but not settled on one approach, given my relative inexperience.

Exit point from the camera stage: front or back?
Connection point to the vest: right hip, right shoulder, left shoulder?
Connection and strain relief: gaff tap? Caribener? Velcro? Front of vest (convenient to make my own connections) back of vest (convenient for the utility to make connections)?
Looping technique: direct from camera to vest, or loop through hand and around arm (per Jerry Holway) or ??
Special considerations for fiber (crimping?)

Help and advice appreciated!

#2 Jameson Johnson

Jameson Johnson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 64 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Going to pull the trigger on a fiber jumper (hopefully today) and would like some advice from live TV guys...

I know 6 feet is the typical length, but wondering if there are advantages to longer or shorter? It doesn't affect my cost. This is wrapped up (no pun intended) into the question of how you route your cable and where, and how you affix it to your vest.

I've read a lot of posts and tried a couple of options on coax jobs...but not settled on one approach, given my relative inexperience.

Exit point from the camera stage: front or back?
Connection point to the vest: right hip, right shoulder, left shoulder?
Connection and strain relief: gaff tap? Caribener? Velcro? Front of vest (convenient to make my own connections) back of vest (convenient for the utility to make connections)?
Looping technique: direct from camera to vest, or loop through hand and around arm (per Jerry Holway) or ??
Special considerations for fiber (crimping?)

Help and advice appreciated!

What did you end up buying?

My solution isn't a perfect one, and I'm sure many others have success with other methods. Most of my steadi work is tethered for live video on Triax, fiber, coax, etc. I'm sure you've landed on a few techniques by now, but it's just my two cents, and no one else had posted yet.

As for the camera exit point, I've had great luck leaving the back of the camera, wrapping around to the left and going under the camera between it and the plate. Usually the shoulder pad on a TV camera provides enough tension to hold the cable in place, but won't crimp or damage it. Then I bring the cable around under the stage, making one more loop. I leave a little extra length, not much here, to provide flex. Essentially, the cable left the camera and made to loops to the left. For a stiffer triax or fiber line this sort of acts as a spring, and with a little adjustment the camera rides in a sweet spot, with little effort to pan left or right. If you let go the camera will tend to return to center (pan) but I equate this with an older arm that isn't isoelastic.

The cable would come out from under the stage at the gimble handle, so I can secure it there too with a strip of gaff. I'll either then tack once to each top section of the arm, or just bring it up to my right shoulder with some slack. A connector point anywhere here has worked well for me. I can connect/disconnect or my utility can. I don't prefer the right hip as the cable can interfere more than I like with the arm.

Hope this helps!

#3 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I bought a six-footer from Phoenix cable. Last job I did, I looped it between the stage and shoulder pad (similar to what you are describing), then let it drop in a loop next to the centerpost, and secured to my right shoulder. Worked pretty good, but I'm still getting comfortable...

#4 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Mark did you say hi to Leslie from me when you bought the cable?

#5 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Alas Leslie is no longer there...

#6 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Alas Leslie is no longer there...

Really, hmmmmm, she didn't tell me . . . . so who's the new fiber jumper contact person?

#7 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I called late last year and asked for Leslie, told she wasn't with them anymore. I'd previously spoken with her in June.

Can't find notes on who I ordered from...but my receipt shows Karen Gormick as salesperson.

#8 Dan Erbeck

Dan Erbeck

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 63 posts
  • Northern New Jersey

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Its Suzanne Spera

#9 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members