• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Medina

Ivan Medina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hello, I am a new jack learning more everyday. Is there any drawback to buying a used charger (Tandem 70)? I need a charger for Hytron 50's and was looking for a way around the $500+ price tag. Am I better off getting this new?

#2 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 645 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

In my opinion and experience it's better to wait a bit and buy a used 2702 4 position charger. Treats your batteries better over the long haul. and what happens when you have a long job and 2 batteries won't cut it. They are also upgradable with the newest firmware when AB comes out with newer batt technology.
The used 2702's are about $1000 used. sometimes a bit more sometimes less. Just my opinion.

Good Luck,

#3 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

The small chargers can be upgraded (unless they are really old) but must be sent in. Costs about $40 if I recall correctly...but I agree the diagnostic chargers are worth it if you can afford one. I've had some subtle problems with a used one I bought, so the first thing I would do if I were buying another 2702 would be to send it in to AB for a thorough checkup.

#4 Ivan Medina

Ivan Medina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thank you very much for the responses and advice. Truly appreciated.

#5 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Dear Ivan,

The 2702 is a staple, and certainly is needed for the DDM (Diagnostic Discharge Module). The 2702 will keep your batteries in good shape & lasting longer.

Keep in mind that the 2702 only charges one battery at a time. Say you're using an Alexa with a rig that carries 3 batteries. Only having a 2702 will not charge up your batteries quicker than the Alexa will draw them down. 6 batteries wouldn't cut it in this scenario, and 9 might not even cut it.

That's why I carry both a 2702 for the DDM, and a TWQ 4 position simultaneous charger. This way I can stay ahead of power hungry digital cameras. If you're on a budget, then the Titan T2 (2 position simultaneous charger) is not a bad option. Keep in mind that the TWQ takes nearly 5 hours to charge a Dionic HC. The Titan T2 (& the new TM4 quad charger) take 1/2 that amount of time.

I've had good luck buying used chargers. I bought a 2702 for $800 online, sent it to Anton Bauer to get checked out, and it's running great 5 years later. This forum, Ebay, etc... are good places to find them used. Also, Paul Dudek at Anton Bauer is a good friend to the Steadicam community. He often sells us AB products direct at a discount. Late April (right after NAB) is a good time to buy new B stock items at a good price.

Anton Bauer recommends that you have a charger station for each battery you own. They say it's best to leave your unused batteries on a charger for best life span.

Hope this helps,

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies