• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

I'm looking for a handheld Director's monitor for viewing SD transmitter. Any preferences between Cramped Attic's Camos & Nebtek's Haier LCD's?

Also, for monitor batteries, do the small Sony style batteries have enough life or are Anton Bauer batts better?

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

Mark, I have a Camos with Sony batteries. I bought some of the large batteries for better run times. Nice to have them as backup for my Preston as well. Much cheaper and lighter than the ABs for this situation. Almost never use it anymore with HD but nice to have in your bag of tricks.

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

The Camos from David at Cramped Attic is great for the same reason Alec mentioned. I had mine outfitted as well with BNC in and out pass through.

#4 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi Mark,
I too own one of David's Cramped Attic Camos monitors. It's worked flawlessly for over five years. Recently, some knuckle-neck broke off the antennae so on another op's advice I went down to Costco and picked up three of these http://www.vizio.com...ies/vmb070.html for a quick, low-cost solution. It's the best eighty bucks I've ever spent. It's obviously not very good in daylight, but I picked up one of the 7" Red Hoodmans with the elastic and it fits perfectly. Even looks kind of cool actually. I'm thinking about slapping a layer of anti-glare on it, but so far, no complaints from the "artistic" music video directors I find myself working for these days. Shoot, for $79 bucks you can pick up a few to make up for the fact that there is no removable battery which is definitely a minus. I'll probably get the Camos antennae fixed one of these days, but no hurry for now.

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1144 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

IMHO Camos is the way to go. The receiver is rock solid. I use mine with handles and an AB plate on back. Battery lasts all day and I dont have to keep an additional style of battery and charger around. I even use mine(with my modulus) on HD jobs when we have HD to village. Directors love it.

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research