7 replies to this topic

#1 David M. Aronson

David M. Aronson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Arlington, VA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hey, I'm comparing rigs again and I've seen a couple good deals on a used Archer 1 rig with a G50 arm. The biggest question I have is what's the maximum camera capacity of the rig? I've heard anything from 23lbs to 30lbs.

#2 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

I've had 26-28lbs on mine with no issues on a regular basis, although this is over the "official" recommended limits it hasn't caused me any problems in nearly 2 years.

#3 Jessica Lopez

Jessica Lopez

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 100 posts
  • Los Angeles and Detroit

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

The Archer 2 can carry a full Red One setup comfortably. Especially the G-50. Still could have added more weight to that sucker :) I almost had a chance to fly an Alexa on it but job cancelled. As far as the Zephyr goes, that flew the Red One setup as well but stripped down as much as possible. Comes with HD monitor too. I did very much enjoy the Clipper 324. So many options and very strong. My favorite of the bunch.

#4 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

The Archer 1 is supposed to have a slightly lower rated weight capacity than the archer 2 though, 24lbs If I remember correctly something like that...anyhow as you said it easily handles a red mx set-up, as does the G50 arm.

#5 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

it easily handles a red mx set-up

Which is to say it handles a Red One or Red Epic just fine. I would offer that a Red One without MX would work just as well as one with. ;)

#6 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:22 AM

Indeed....Red One is the same camera with a inferior sensor and the Epic weighs a lot less, my rig has had both cameras on it with no problems, although it wasn't me flying the Epic.

#7 Jonathan Galione

Jonathan Galione

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • London, UK

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

I flew the epic a couple of times on James rig, the first time with Zeiss primes, full matte box and two Anton Bauer batteries, plus usual focus etc and it took the weight fine, the second time I used it with hawk v lite anamorphics, clip on matte box and red v-lock battery and it was just that little bit too heavy for the rig, but it still handled it ok.

Edited by Jonathan Galione, 30 October 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#8 Ed Moore

Ed Moore

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 185 posts
  • Midlands, UK

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

The only time I ever maxed out my archer 1 with G-50 was Red with anamorphics and an MB-14 (don't ask).

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems