Best Sled for Sony F3? - Thoughts / Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hiroe Tanno

Hiroe Tanno

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

Looking to buy a new sled to run a Sony F3 ... any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks Hiroe

#2 Rogerhaugen

Rogerhaugen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Norway

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hi!

Is your question what is the most affordable sled to run the sony f3?
Depends on what kind of setup you want. Aja pro mini, lenses ect.
You can probably run it fine with the Zephyr rig or flyer if you are on a lower budged.
I have used it on my mk-v nexus rig with aja pro mini and idx wireless on the camera and that was quit a light setup.

Roger

#3 Jonathan Galione

Jonathan Galione

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • London, UK

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

I've flown this camera a couple of times, once with the mk-v nexus and the second time on a flyer. I found it too light on the nexus as well, and it was better suited to the flyer and that was with the AJA and a full matte box, the sled was fully extended but it handled fine.

Jon

#4 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hey Jon,

Finally joined up eh!

Good to see you on here too mate :)

#5 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

I've used it with my Archer and G50 arm, with the arm dialled down it seems to be pretty sweet weight wise, although it did feel better with a weight plate underneath, I think it just gave it a bit more inertia and stability especially on the slower moving stuff.

I imagine a zephyr would probably be fine, but you could get away with a flyer if you kept it fairly light.
I put my camwave and a v-lock up top behind the camera on the rails to add a bit more bulk and spread the weight front to back a little more.
My main complaint with the camera was that it was quite short and light, so to re-create the feel of a bigger camera the first thing I did was lengthen the spread of weight across the build, I then bolted on a little weight plate that sits between the baseplate and steadicam dovetail.

It's one of those cameras that can be bulked up enough to ride on bigger rigs, but stripped down quite easily for lighter rigs, i'd base your purchase of rig more on other factors than it being compatible with one particular camera, unless you know that you will spend every single job on an F3 forever, which is pretty unlikely.

My two pence

#6 Rogerhaugen

Rogerhaugen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Norway

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

I choose to keep one battery on top. I only had one in the bottom to power the monitor and focus.

Roger

Attached Files

#7 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

The F3 is an excellent match for the Zephyr, with plenty of "headroom" for accessories and lenses.

Attached File  hali hicks MV Steadicam2.jpg   255.14KB   199 downloads

#8 Aaron King

Aaron King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

A good question to ask your self would be "Is the F3 the only camera you ever plan to work with". Will there ever be a time when you might get called for a job that requires a larger camera or payload? Don't limit your choice to just one camera, but to where you would like to go further down the road. Find a rig that will not only work great for an F3 but for many more camera options and build configurations. An F3 can be a dream weight and can quickly become very heavy depending on the job.

#9 Matthew Fleischmann

Matthew Fleischmann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 50 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hey Mark, which vest are you wearing in that photo? Is that the new Zephyr vest?

#10 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Indeed it is.

It's an excellent vest for the weight range of the Zephyr.

#11 Matthew Fleischmann

Matthew Fleischmann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 50 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Wow that looks great and would work well with my flyer as well. I like that they got rid of the clips at the bottom and replaced them with the geared pulleys. Off the top of your head do you happen to know what they sell that vest for?

#12 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

Sofar the Zephyr Vest seems not to be for sale as single item. But Tiffen has the Flyer Vest for sale as a single item for years now..
The Flyer Vest was 1595,- us dollars i think.. so maybe they will start to sell the Zephyr for something like 2595,- or 2995,- us..

You can always ask Tiffen. (it's a lovely vest btw :) )

#13 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

I tried one at the demo for the Tango a while back and they are very comfy, sort of feels like a scaled down version of the LX vest.

#14 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

The vest looks to me like a direct descendant of the Provid vest...adding a proper bridge plate and socket block, and the clever velcro adjustment of the shoulder clasps.

#15 Seiji Tanaka

Seiji Tanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • OSAKA , JAPAN

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hi . I have own PMW-F3. F3 is an best match for the Zephyr, with some accessories and lenses , but Flyer also OK.

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

IDX

BOXX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Teradek