1 reply to this topic

#1 Vicki Smart

Vicki Smart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Hi there, been a while since I was last here.

I'm in need of some advice. I'm returning to University in January to retake some modules of my film production degree (I was ill in my final semester so didn't get the grades I needed to graduate). I've got an idea that is already getting some momentum in terms of people willing to participate etc.

The idea is to do a 5 minute profile on someone with a Private Pilots' License. I know for a fact that if I do this subject my lecturers would want arial footage. Not a problem, one of the people I'm in contact with at the flying club has said he'll take me and a small crew flying.

So, how does one go about filming in a small aircraft? The plane in question is a Piper Comanche 250.

I have a few options with cameras:

Sony EX3
Canon DSLR (a few people have a few models on the course)
Nikon D5100 DSLR.
Glidecam rig

My main problem, from what I can see, will be keeping the camera steady in the plane. I've also got access to monopods, tripods and a Frezzi shoulder mounted rig. We've also got a matte box so I can use a polarizer to stop reflections from the glass being an issue.

So which camera setup would you use and does anyone have any tips for me? I will not be operating in this case as I'll be busy directing, but I plan to try a couple of operators over the next few months, before the shoot proper.

#2 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

I would go for Go Pro cameras rigged in cockpit and around the plane. If you have to operate a handheld rig and you're in need of extra stability, gyros is the way to go.
Have fun

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications