#1 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys,

I've been operating for a couple of years now. I started back in college on the school's Glidecam, and used part of a student loan to buy a Pilot. I haven't had the chance yet to take a master class, but I was fortunate enough to PA for Charles Papert in one of his classes over at Mole.

I've been working with my Pilot for about a year and a half now, and I've finally gotten to a point where I can't justify holding off any longer. My Zephyr is shipping today from B&H, and it will be here by the end of the week. The last of my loan disbursement will go to a digital Bartech system and a cart. I'm looking forward to all the new opportunities and learning experiences!

I would like to say thank you to everyone in the forum for answering my questions along the way. Fly safe! - Alan

#2 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

Congratulations!

#3 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

Congrats!!! You will enjoy flying with your Zephyr! I got one too and love it!

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Good for you Alan. Look forward to seeing the work you are doing with the Zephyr!

#5 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks guys! I have a music video shoot on Red later this month. I will hopefully be able to post footage soon after.

#6 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Zephyr is a very good choice....
I´ve one just 4-5 moths ago and it rules right...
You will enjoy it.... B) B)

#7 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thanks guys! I have a music video shoot on Red later this month. I will hopefully be able to post footage soon after.

A good advice for the tandem "ZEPHYR+REDONE" is to use power cable sled to camera... Less weight and inertial pans....
Waiting for news.

#8 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

I also recommend the Zephyr 12/24V second battery hanger. It allows hot-swapping batteries on the RED, and also distributes the high current load between two batteries.

#9 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

I also recommend the Zephyr 12/24V second battery hanger. It allows hot-swapping batteries on the RED, and also distributes the high current load between two batteries.

That was my first thought when I set it up today! Who do I have to talk to about getting that?

#10 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

Contact Peter Abraham or Dan Ikeda at Tiffen for the battery hanger.

I have a spare Red One power cable for sale, contact me via PM if you're interested.

Red Epic takes a different power cable. You'll be wanting one of those soon, too...
Terry West can build you one.

#11 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Contact Peter Abraham or Dan Ikeda at Tiffen for the battery hanger.

I have a spare Red One power cable for sale, contact me via PM if you're interested.

Red Epic takes a different power cable. You'll be wanting one of those soon, too...
Terry West can build you one.

Thanks, Mark. I'll get a second battery plate after my next job.

I've actually been trying my hand at making cables, and I've been making all the power cables for various equipment at the rental house that I work at. So far, I haven't fried anything, but I used to install and service automatic doors in a previous life so I'm pretty confident.

#12 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Sounds like you're in good shape when it comes to making cables.

For the Red Epic cable, it's a proprietary Lemo and Red was only selling them in bulk quantities last I heard.

#13 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

For the Red Epic cable, it's a proprietary Lemo and Red was only selling them in bulk quantities last I heard.

We have an Epic where I work. I looked at the part number on the lemo connector, and this looks like it's the right one. It's actually about $20 cheaper than the Red One power connector. I ordered the last one they had in stock, and I'll let you know if I am right or not.

http://www.mouser.co...VnwLKov7VenCQ==

#14 Ron Michael

Ron Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Houston Texas

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

We have an Epic where I work. I looked at the part number on the lemo connector, and this looks like it's the right one. It's actually about $20 cheaper than the Red One power connector. I ordered the last one they had in stock, and I'll let you know if I am right or not.

http://www.mouser.co...VnwLKov7VenCQ==

I just ordered this specific one from Mouser and found out that the insert is a 6 pin but the wrong configuration. The Epic is using an insert with 4 larger pins and 2 smaller pins. Now I wished I could get that special insert that Red is using from someone. Mark, you said Terry can make up a cable, how much does he charge and what is his email? I also have a zephyr.

#15 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Ron - I found that the connector I bought was wrong and returned it. I actually had terry make one for me instead ($240). He does great work, and after talking to him, I found out that you can order the epic connector. He says he gets them from his local dealer. You might be able to call him and ask him what the part number is.

Terry West
South Bay Film and Video Services
techrat531@verizon.net

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies