Parallel/Series Switch on my Pro. Do i need it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

Anyone who knows me well knows that i am about as untechnical a steadicam op as they come. Other things yes, but Steadi, not so much. So the other day i noticed that the paralell/series switch on my Pro is actually broken, meaning there is no little metal doohicky to even flick anymore and I have no idea what mode it is in. So i got to thinking. First off, I need to pay better attention to my gear I guess as I have no idea how long this has been this way. Secondly, is this something that even needs to be addressed anymore or is that switch a holdover to the old BL days? Anyone actually use this thing? The 12/24v switch seems to only be valid for the Genesis with a dual cable power cable so that i barely use. Any thoughts for a clueless op? And while you're at it, if anyone finds the doohickey, please feel free to pass it along. I'll glue it back and pretend as if nothing happened.

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 368 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

That switch does have some electrical usage. In 12v mode, you can run your batteries in 2 ways. In Parallel mode, the two batteries are both wired together, and all 12v (CAM, AUX, and Focus) outputs on the rig are live, drawing juice equally from both batteries. In Separate mode, CAM draws its power from only one battery, and the AUX battery powers the rest of the ports. In 24v mode, the switch does nothing.

I've never switched my rig out of Parallel mode, but if I was going to use one of the Y-Cables for a RED or another 12v camera, I would probably want to put it into separate to draw from both of the lines going up the post.

So, not sure whether it'd actually have any effect on your operating, but it might be useful to figure out which position that switch was in!

(also, if anyone spies anything incorrect in here, please correct me!)

#3 RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

I would put it back to stock just to have the option. If I remember correctly the newer pros don't have this (the power blocks replace this feature) and I think the main advantage was to be able to run an arri3 high speed (2 separate power sources required). As Tom mentioned, it's also nice to have the option of isolated 12v power outta the aux port (even while in 24v mode on pro1's me thinks) to power your electric shaver, portable fridge or charge your phone to call George and ask him to send you a switch.

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus