#1 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hi!

Today I produced my first demo-reel with my new Steadicam Zypher. I´m looking forward to any suggestions for improvement! I know, this reel is a little boring! I want to make a better one as soon as possible.

Next year I´m going to take a workshop (the workshops this year are already sold out). Apart from that I´m practicing, practicing, practicing...

Greetings from Munich
Wolfgang

My Demo Reel

#2 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Im a newb coming from the background of photography

I would encourage you to press pause, and ask yourself 'is this a nice photo'

I think often the answer is no in this 'reel'

Once you can see nice images you can learn to put them together using a steadicam

say the rotation shot it would be great to spin round the photographer and arrive at the image he is composing, and lock off there, but that shot, like all the others has no motivation or purpose

when you know what you are trying to do you will up the operator skills until your body can create the shots your mind wants

At the moment I see no thought so no amount of physical skill will lead to interesting shots .. IMO

S

#3 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

I wouldn't call it a demo reel, but more a sample of a shot. I understand your new and lack footage. A reel is a sample of your work in the form of the steadicam moves and the level of work you have accomplished. This would illustrate your steadicam skills, pacing, composition, etc. Best of luck with your new rig.

JA

#4 Raquel BenitoBarbero

Raquel BenitoBarbero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

What a I see is that is a little repetitive, and another thing for example the first and second one you have a lot of specks of dust, I think you can omit them, and with those two less, I think, your reel is a little bit better because It has too many similar sequences.

Otherwise I think you should record more sequences with different people, and different places to get more variety.

Well this is only my opinion and I don't have experience so someone experienced will tell you some things more usefull than mines

Edited by Raquel BenitoBarbero, 11 September 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#5 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi!

Today I produced my first demo-reel with my new Steadicam Zypher. I´m looking forward to any suggestions for improvement! I know, this reel is a little boring! I want to make a better one as soon as possible.

Next year I´m going to take a workshop (the workshops this year are already sold out). Apart from that I´m practicing, practicing, practicing...

Not really a demo reel. Here's something to remember, DP's want to see framing and shot choreography and Directors/Producers want to see reconizable faces

#6 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

Thank you very much for your opinions!

Well, as I mentioned in my post, the demo reel isn´t very impressive ;-) It was just my first attempt and I´m going to make a better one. I just went out with a friend and shot a few scenes.

But I´m happy everyone complained about the demo reel as a whole and not my Steadicam-work ;-)

You have to know that I´m very happy to be able to produce relatively smooth shots since I changed from my old Glidecam X-10 to Steadicam Zypher. A few weeks ago my "demo reel" would have been more shakily and unsteady than this one.

Wolfgang

#7 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Im a newb so dont like to comment on operating

First corner you lose it coming out

There are some terrible horizons both Roll when you are following and the side on follow is at about 20 degrees off

Too much headroom and cropping of hands is painful

Often the subject is off centre with no motivation to that composition

Failure to boom as you close in on the subject

Shootng in a forest is a classic way to hide bad operating you shuold practice in a built up environment with lots of verticals

Operating just gets harder when your structured moves make you try and place the camera in specific locatons, start it and stop it, control headroom etc

I can pretty much make a camera move towards an X but folowing someone round a corner I move away from the subject to make my pan speed lower and have to boom down to control headroom with that loosening of composition then boom and tighten out of the corner while still trying to keep the rig flat

When I practice moves like that its when i realise how much I have to learn - but it all comes from trying to sustain good composition

S

Edited by Sam Morgan Moore, 12 September 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#8 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

You´re absoluteley right! I saw the really bad horizons, especially in the first scene. This is really something I´ll have to improve. Framing is not easy if you don´t have a story in your head. I think it makes a big difference if I follow a murderer, a victim or a hero, as a observer or POV. If you don´t have a concrete picture in your head it´s really difficult, isn´t it?

So I´ll practice a lot and I´m sure it will get better. At least, I hope so...

Wolfgang

Im a newb so dont like to comment on operating

First corner you lose it coming out

There are some terrible horizons both Roll when you are following and the side on follow is at about 20 degrees off

Too much headroom and cropping of hands is painful

Often the subject is off centre with no motivation to that composition

Failure to boom as you close in on the subject

Shootng in a forest is a classic way to hide bad operating you shuold practice in a built up environment with lots of verticals

Operating just gets harder when your structured moves make you try and place the camera in specific locatons, start it and stop it, control headroom etc

I can pretty much make a camera move towards an X but folowing someone round a corner I move away from the subject to make my pan speed lower and have to boom down to control headroom with that loosening of composition then boom and tighten out of the corner while still trying to keep the rig flat

When I practice moves like that its when i realise how much I have to learn - but it all comes from trying to sustain good composition

S

#9 Gail Gong

Gail Gong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hi!

Greetings from Munich
Wolfgang

My Demo Reel

Hi Wolfgang. I am a real newbie. Got my scout two weeks ago, and last week, I did a two-day workshop. My steadicam-ing is NOT steady! so I am quite impressed at how smooth your shooting is. At the workshop, the rigs were all statically and dynamically balanced, but we didn't get enough time to really get the feel of any of the exercises. Now I am home, and my left hip is bumping the battery, and every time I step forward, the whole rig sways. Is it lack of balance of the rig, or because I am walking funny? Maybe I should try to keep my right hip traveling forward in a straight line? All rhetorical questions. So many variables. Anyway, Wolfgang, I enjoyed seeing how steady you were.

#10 Wolfgang Troescher

Wolfgang Troescher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hi!

Thank you very much for your reply! The shots of my first "demo reel" (which isn´t really one) are not really good. Especially horizons and headspace have to improve. Otherwise, it´s much better than my first attempts with my old Glidecam system. I´ve been practicing for about one year, till august with Glidecam, since september with my new zypher.

The problems you´re describing are exactly the same I hade at the beginning, so be patient and practice a lot. I can assure you: You´ll get better from day to day. Just be patient! Probably it sounds a bit exaggerating, but the system has be become a part of your body and shouldn´t feel like a "foreign matter".

Wolfgang

Hi!

Greetings from Munich
Wolfgang

My Demo Reel

Hi Wolfgang. I am a real newbie. Got my scout two weeks ago, and last week, I did a two-day workshop. My steadicam-ing is NOT steady! so I am quite impressed at how smooth your shooting is. At the workshop, the rigs were all statically and dynamically balanced, but we didn't get enough time to really get the feel of any of the exercises. Now I am home, and my left hip is bumping the battery, and every time I step forward, the whole rig sways. Is it lack of balance of the rig, or because I am walking funny? Maybe I should try to keep my right hip traveling forward in a straight line? All rhetorical questions. So many variables. Anyway, Wolfgang, I enjoyed seeing how steady you were.

Teradek

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX