• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

I’ve been curious about this for some time now. I currently do not have time use my steadicam. I have not given up on it as it is my passion and something I enjoy immensely.

I own a full steadicam efp rig as well as a pro vest and partial pro sled. I feel like it’s just sitting at home collecting dust at the moment and I would like to know if there is a way I could rent out just my gear? Are there rental houses in town that are interested in that kind of thing? Have you guys heard of a way to do this?

Edited by Andre Trudel, 02 September 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#2 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

Don't know how it is in the States, but renting out your gear, is a killer for your equipment.

I've seen the rigs that are being rented out by companies, and I guess the problem is that some ops just don't care when it's not their own gear.

Personally I ALWAYS say no to renting out, unless it's to an operator I know who needs to rent because his/hers own gear is unavailable.

#3 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 138 posts
  • Florida

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Steadicam is not a great rental house item. It's very rare someone needs to rent a rig. Most operators own their own equipment with all the custom items they require. You won't get that with a rental house. I rent my stuff to friends who are up and coming or maybe an operator whose equipment didn't make it to the set for some reason. Other than that, most people renting a steadicam may not have enough experience to do a good job with it anyways.

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hey Andre!

There are several aspiring ops on the Forum here that have training, know the gear and have opportunities to work but they do not yet have the money to buy a full-sized rig.

The first thing you'd need to do is make sure they are 100% insured.

Like any other rental house, you need a good inventory list, rental contract and a check-out / check-in procedure.

Rather than put it in a rental house for any Joe Schmo to rent, you'd be better off developing relationships with these other ops, people you know and trust that the gear will come back solid and clean or if there's a problem they'll make it right.

Figure out a way to split the rental fee with them. Set a minimum rental rate that you get and then take a percentage over and above of what they do the rental for. For instance, $400 minimum plus 15% of the actual rental over and above. You get some, they get some.

If the Op doesn't have insurance, you can rent it directly to Production and then give the Op a cut.

While I don't rent my rig, I have loaned it or traded rigs with some close friends while we were swapping out shows or filling in for each other. I do rent other equipment such as cameras, audio, Preston, lighting etc. but generally not to strangers unless someone I know is on the job.

There's no reason why you can make this work with the right relationships and paperwork in place and make some money on it.

Let me know if I can help.

#5 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

I do rent out my equipment but ONLY with me or my assistant. Never rent just the gear.

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research