#1 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hallo everyone,

I know that this may sound silly but I would like to know...what exactly the Decimator does that makes it so unique?

I'm reading it a lot on the Forum but from their site I didn't get a clear conclusion.I know that it is a downconverter/upconverter but I'm quite confused...!

For example: I own a Steadicam SK2 with the basic single action arm and a bigger double action arm that was modified to fit the SK2 vest and with this configuration I can use from DSLR up to RED and some film cameras.As you might know my top stage has only a BNC video in and a 12V power out plugs.

In what way a Decimator can help me improve my signal/picture or the one that I'm sending to the directors monitor??

Thank you in advance!

- Haris -

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

The Decimator is not truly unique, but it is a solid little downconverter at a reasonable price. When it first emerged a few years ago, the industry standard downconverters were at or over $1000 and few individual operators owned them. The original Decimator debuted at $435 (has since been raised to $495) which made it attractive to own.

The 2nd generation version added HDMI output which is not generally a big Steadicam requirement, but it does allow for the use of low cost monitoring solutions on or off the rig (I have supplied my guest room 42" LCD as a client monitor with a Decimator2 converting the HD-SDI feed to HDMI; paid off the purchase price of the TV in two weeks!). Also the latest firmware includes scaling, audio metering and framelines/center marker options. Again, not all features may be Steadicam-related and some are just on the HDMI output, but still handy.

For your purposes, any HD camera that doesn't include a built-in downconverter will require a Decimator or something like it to deliver an image to your monitor and any outboard SD monitor. My advice is to get it with a p-tap cable so you can power from the camera battery when in use, plus you may want to get a cable made from your top stage to either female p-tap or the 4-way p-tap splitter box (or wire one in directly to the sled).

#3 Pedro Guimaraes SOC

Pedro Guimaraes SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 204 posts
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

Abel cine in LA sells the p-tap cable.

http://www.abelcine....-for-Decimator/

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

As do I, although I sell Terry West's version which uses a much more "Steadicam-esque" cable--more slender and flexible than the zipcord used in with the stock cable that Abel and others sell. However, it costs twice as much.

#5 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thank you Charls and Pedro,

Much clearer now...!

- Haris -

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX