Recovering from an operation....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Sayers

Mark Sayers
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:58 AM

Hi, just wanted to get some general opinion on the time I should wait until I use steadicam having just had my appendix out last weekend. Obviously I'm following doctors advice first which is to rest for at least 10 days, but then up to 3 weeks before doing any heavy lifting.

I wonder if there is anyone who has had similar operations and has any useful advice on recomended recovery time.

Thanks

Mark

#2 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hey bud,

Just wanna wish you all the best and hope you're better soon, I would take the Doc's advice and just rest until you're better, I definately agree Steadicam counts as heavy lifting.

Take care,

Jason

#3 Howard J Smith

Howard J Smith

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hi Mark

having had the same op - I was told 6 weeks - and please for your sake - do it (rest)

You are prone to a hernia if you over do it too soon.

get well - fly safe

All the best

Howard

#4 Nicholas M. Chopp

Nicholas M. Chopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Mankato, MN

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:21 PM

Indeed - and there isn't much worse in the world than hernia problems. Rest up and get well.

Hi Mark

having had the same op - I was told 6 weeks - and please for your sake - do it (rest)

You are prone to a hernia if you over do it too soon.

get well - fly safe

All the best

Howard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 MarkKaravite

MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 332 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

Dear Mark,

Having recovered from a few surgeries myself over the past 2 decades, you are well served to let yourself heal. I understand the urge to get back in the saddle ASAP, but there is plenty of time to abuse your body later on.

A couple of hints. When you do return, be careful lifting your cases. Sometimes hefting a sled or battery case can do more damage than when you are suited up. Also, when I was recovering, I'd just tell calling clients that I was booked. No sense in loosing possible future work because a producer is paranoid about worker's comp issues on his set. When your doctor clears you to work, don't neglect training those muscles that have been idle for several weeks. I blew my knee out 10 years ago, and thanks to an aggressive rehab schedule (that I still do), I credit that injury to making me stronger today than if the injury had never happended.

Best of luck,

Mark Karavite
Steadicam Owner / Operator

#6 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

pilates - is absolutely brilliant for hernia prevention (after rest of course)

don t go on the lessons - lots of old ladies and weird people

either

get 1 or 2 private lessons (35 pounds a hit but will teach u everything u need to know)

or.... if in london

go to danceworx or pineapple studios and be surround with fit fit fit dance students

fit

#7 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:19 AM

or get a "swiss ball" , lots of core strengh excercises available on them. i have my full workout routine based on a swiss ball, strenghening all the abdominal stability mussels useful in steadicam. doesn t get rid of the beer gut though... although i reckon a little is vital to retain a lower centre of gravity.

#8 Nicholas M. Chopp

Nicholas M. Chopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Mankato, MN

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:23 PM

And here I always thought the beer gut was a requirement... *grin*

or get a "swiss ball" , lots of core strengh excercises available on them. i have my full workout routine based on a swiss ball, strenghening all the abdominal stability mussels useful in steadicam. doesn t get rid of the beer gut though... although i reckon a little is vital to retain a lower centre of gravity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#9 Mark Sayers

Mark Sayers
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:21 AM

And here I always thought the beer gut was a requirement... *grin*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got no worries about a beer gut anymore, the 'Nil By Mouth' in hospital soon sorted that one out!!!

Mark

#10 Nicholas M. Chopp

Nicholas M. Chopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Mankato, MN

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:00 AM

I always figured I didn't have to worry about the low center of gravity, being 5'5". <grin>

#11 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

Hi, just wanted to get some general opinion on the time I should wait until I use steadicam having just had my appendix out last weekend. Obviously I'm following doctors advice first which is to rest for at least 10 days, but then up to 3 weeks before doing any heavy lifting.

I wonder if there is anyone who has had similar operations and has any useful advice on recomended recovery time.

Thanks

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mark

Get well soon my friend, plenty of female attention should do the trick :) and i dont mean your mum lol. :ph34r:

IDX

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions