7 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hi all. Just want to get your opinions on steadicam day playing rates. Should the dayplaying steadicam operator be forced to accept the daily rate for gear from what the B Camera/Steadicam Op has established as his/her weekly rate for the run of the 10week or 15 week show? I think not. We should be afforded a higher rate since we aren't on the run of the show.

What say ye?

Ramon

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hi all. Just want to get your opinions on steadicam day playing rates. Should the dayplaying steadicam operator be forced to accept the daily rate for gear from what the B Camera/Steadicam Op has established as his/her weekly rate for the run of the 10week or 15 week show? I think not. We should be afforded a higher rate since we aren't on the run of the show.

Are you covering for another operator or coming in on a separate unit? If you're covering you're going to get the other operators rate and rental. If you're in on a different unit it's what ever you can negotiate

#3 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

^^ I agree. If your doing a favor for another operator your stuck with their rate.

On your own unit you make your own deal. That being said, your not going to get a commercial rate on a tv show.

#4 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I've done both, filled in, took the existing deal but I've been working on 2nd Unit a great deal as well. Don't feel that its fair to take a discounted rate for one or two days work.

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

the good days are over because there are too many losers undercutting each other and blindly accepting what producers want to pay without checking into what others are offered/getting. The new trend in network tv seems to be to offer you less than their everyday op gets. Nice.

#6 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

The one that gets me is the UPM asking you to bring your gear just incase they want steadicam but not booking your gear unless they actually use your steadicam and then you get your bump for rate and gear.

#7 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Alfeo,

The trick to that is just saying "no." Seriously, don't let them get away with it. Our dear community member, Afton, just did this in a big way and it was glorious. They didn't take him seriously and were all surprised when he didn't have his gear with him. Serves the pricks right.

#8 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

I just made a deal for Step Up 4 and they started super low. I had another offer for another job so Russ and I were able to 'just say no' to the rate until it was respectable. It's much easier to say no when you know you have another job backing you up. I guess the trick is to treat every negotiation as if you had another good offer on the table and stick to your guns.

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams