2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Eden

Adam Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

I bumped into an online friend of mine today at SMPTE which is an industry trade show for our industry thats on at Darling Harbour/ Sydney/ Australia at the moment, and he shoots a lot of wildlife with very long zoom lenses.

I said to him, how do you hand hold a 1500-3000mm lens without motion blur from your hands... Do you have a kenlabs gyro??

He said...

NO I have 2 x 15000 RPM SCSI drives both in horizontal and vertical attached to my lens as a GYRO running off a 12volt IDX DTAP battery..

Cheapest GYRO ever as these drives are worth nothing now..

Has anyone here mounted this setup on the bottom of a STEADICAM sled yet?? If not I am going to try this as this sounds like a brilliant idea!!!

thoughts anyone?

#2 thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1163 posts
  • UK

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

thats interesting! I dunno, how heavy is the fly wheel in a SCSI drive? I don't think they'll be strong/heavy enough to help on Steadicam.

Try it.. let us know!

There does seem to be a bit of google food on this. It won't be for proper cameras but definitely worth keeping in mind for those crazy rigs with si-2k s and the like/

#3 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Seems to me there isn't enough inertia/weight in the discs. I guess I'd have to see it, if he's using it and likes it there must be something to it. Semi-off/on topic, but gyros are about to get mind-numbingly cheap. I was given a setup to play around with and the whole thing is super light weight. I can't post any imagery, but it's got me a little worried to be honest. It's not related to Steadicam, but I think it could be adapted. When I say gyro, I'm talking electronic that reacts to movement, not the spinning disc stabilization kind. It's not a new concept, but there's massive weight and price reductions in this. It's right around the corner. Steadicam's still got a role to play as it eliminates vertical motion and the whip-pan is a bonus as well, but...

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC