30 replies to this topic

#1 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hello again. I'm still a bit of a newbie, not having yet taken a workshop (I'm in the process of booking for one now), but in today's economy, it's never too early to budget.

I'm having trouble comparing a few MK-V parts, so I was hoping that people here who have worked with Howard's rigs could give a little feedback as to the differences.

The base rig that I'm looking at is the Genesis. Thanks to Howard's flexibility, though, I have a choice for the topstage, gimbal, and monitor mounting rods.

For the topstage, it's between the standard and the deluxe. For the gimbal, the standard Genesis, and the V2" fitted for a 1.5" post (the 1.5" is what makes the most sense for me financially and camera-wise). And for the monitor mounting rods, it's between standard aluminium, carbon fibre, or the V2" arm.

Unfortunatley, reading the descriptions I can't figure out what the advantages/disadvantages are (no side-along comparison). I'm willing to spend more money to "upgrade" a certain part if it will provide a long-term advantage, but without knowing anything about the components, I can't make that decision. For all of the descriptions of the less-expensive products, it says something like "behaves exactly the same as it's bigger brother, but without the cost!" Well there must be some advantage, otherwise nobody would shell out the extra cash.

I'm sure I will/would have be/been warned about buying a rig before knowing enough about it to decide between parts, but rest assured I'm not thinking about buying for a while. Still, like I said, I need to budget now so that things can go smooth later on.

I appreciate the insight!

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

do not buy anything until you try out multiple rigs for yourself and talk to owners about what they like/don't like about the gear, customer service, longevity, flexibility etc...

an airline ticket to try a bunch of gear out for yourself (if you don't have access to it where you live) is a small price to pay compared to regretting what you chose.

#3 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Don't worry, I won't be buying anything for another 6+ months, I'm just getting an idea of cost so that I can be financially prepared.

Currently I'm in the US, but I plan on moving to Switzerland, where MK-V and the Tiffen Ultra2 are the rigs of choice for the majority of operators (perhaps even all). While I've yet to make a final decision, from talking to operators, and to Howard, I like what MK-V has to offer, so that's what I'm basing my initial price plan on. I've tried Artemis, which is the closest geographically, but it wasn't for me.

So really don't think of this thread as a suggestion for somebody buying, but rather a simple point-by-point comparison of two things that HAVE to be different, but are advertised as cheap and expensive versions of the same thing :unsure:

#4 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Only saying.. be carefull about equipment, suppliers etc etc. I mean, read the archives about general service, failures etc etc..

Erik

#5 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

At this point, is there really a reason why we're stepping on egg shells on this topic? The thread in question seems to have vanished, but the problems still exist.

#6 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Sorry to open a can of worms on this one. I know some people haven't had a good experience with MK-V, and some people have. I haven't committed to them yet, this thread was really only meant to seek help getting info on a few parts so that I could formulate a cost estimate.

#7 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I suppose the post was unnecessary. I just spoke to Howard who clarified everything. The gimbles are pretty much the same, just for different post sizes. The advanced topstage doesn't have to be unlocked to adjust, the standard works more like the Flyer's.

This does lead to a further question. For those of you who work with the Flyer, how much of a hastle is it to work with the topstage adjustment?

Cheers

#8 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hey William, no egg shells at all.. just simple facts. I don't like the way MK-V does business and that's why i replied on this topic.
Besides, all big suppliers, TIFFEN, PRO, XCS, BETZ, SACHTLER have up to date prices on the websites. Whatever you like, you can calculate it simply yourself. Maybe a small discount and/or 'special' personal quote is possible, you can contact them about this.

When contacting MK-V aka Howard these days.. it's all about, what money do you have to offer? So, if you like to update a Flyer with his latest promoted special parts.. it will cost me for example 2500 euro's.. and the next person in line 3000 euro and someone he likes, it will cost more likey 2000 euro. That's fine but he SHOULD display part prices before you get a personal quote. And that's where he failes BIG time. And then there is the electronic failure part pfffffff

So good luck Alexander, spent your money wise :)

#9 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. If somebody who has bought a Genesis or other MK-V parts in the past could PM me, I'd love to compare my quotes with somebody elses.

Of course I'm still open to other brands, but even Steadicam takes a back seat to my goal of rejoining my family in Switzerland, so my rig choice is influenced a lot by what companies are familiar with and trust. And if you're not paying for the rig, I suppose you can trust MK-V as much as anybody else.

I know of the power and signal problems in the v2. Does the same apply to the v2 Genesis, which despite the name is a little different, and the v3?

#10 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

there's the obvious customer service issues that can be researched but I was referring more to choosing a rig that feels right to you.

Choosing a rig based on what others fly in your area might be a good idea but don't let that be your only deciding factor. Every rig has an advantage and disadvantage -- the afore mentioned possible service issues, the size/length/weight of the sled, the compatibility with aftermarket accessories, reliability, and just plain how it feels when you fly it. That's why I said fly them all, pick one that feels right.

rb

#11 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

Come on guys, are we really doing this? Egg shells? For god's sake man, do you read? Look around.

#12 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Come on guys, are we really doing this? Egg shells? For god's sake man, do you read? Look around.

You might want to read this. Anyone who does business with MK-V does it at their own risk and for gear that honestly is NOT that good. For as much as howard would like you to believe that he is an innovator and inventor he's not. He copies other peoples work without understanding why or how to actually build it. He's fantastically gifted at telling you what you want to hear and selling you on him, but that's where it ends.

Read the horror show yourself Right here, click this and be educated

#13 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hey William, no egg shells at all.. just simple facts.

We're on the same page brother. I was just alluding to the fact we just saw a sizable sh*tstorm in another thread literally weeks ago regarding MK-V's products AND their service. Now in this thread, we're almost afraid to mention it again.

Like Eric said: go read for yourself. That's a REAL operator making an investment in a rig, and thats how he was treated.

#14 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Sachtler's Artemis Rigs are also a good alernative for somebody in Europe. Curt is great to work with, an Operator himself. Check them out. Their rigs work, no BS, a great product for the money.

Sachtler Artemis

#15 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

I understand that MK-V isn't a perfect company, but it is in our line of work that we have to work arround problems that were unforeseen in the development stages, since we all work in slightly different environments.

I personally have had no problem talking with Howard, and he's even responded to my emails in-between breaks on set. Rachel was previously the "good support representative", or so I've head, but since she left it appears that Howard has stepped up to the plate. That's just my personal experience of course.

I haven't gotten the feel that he's just after money. Of course all companies want people to buy their higher priced items, but once I made it clear what my goals were, he was very good at suggesting which parts best suited my needs, not just the expensive ones.

As far as the post issue goes, I'll have a chat with Benz and see what it costs. If I have to wire direct to the monitor, so be it. Ive been doing that since day one on my current rig.

I would kindly like to ask people to keep the MK-V bashing to the other thread. I'm aware of these problems, and if I do choose MK-V, I will keep those problems in mind. However, as I made it clear in many of my posts, I am not buying a rig for a while. I am only budgeting. Unfortunatley my original questions have become lost. I have gotten an answer from Howard, and a PM on the forum, but I'd be happy to get some more feedback here if people are willing to put aside the electronics issue for a moment.

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC