6 replies to this topic

#1 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but oddly enough my search for "workshop" comes up with 0 results. So if you could humor me.

I've finally decided to move into the big Steadi market. I was indecisive for months, but once I finally tried on a big rig, I realized that this is what I want to do for the rest of mt life! So the first logical step seems to be to take a workshop.

Could somebody recommend one? I'm in the Midwest, but also have convenient access to Europe, and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US too. I'd like something where I could get a chance to see different kinds of rigs too. I know a lot of workshop runners are diehard Tiffen fans, but Id like to get the feel for other things out there.

Thanks, and I appreciate those on the forum who have helped me get to this first step.

#2 Stephen Wymer

Stephen Wymer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • Oklahoma City

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hey Alexander,

Check out this website, should have all the information you need. http://www.thesteadicamworkshops.com/
I believe those are all workshops for Tiffen rigs. (correct me if I'm wrong.) In regards to workshops using MK-V, XCS, or GPI equipment, I do not know.

Good luck!

Stephen Wymer

#3 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thanks very much. Actually I suppose when it comes down to it, I can do any rig testing easy enough once I have a workshop under the belt.

Does anybody know if Tiffen or others have a workshop like the broadcast one, but for people who would have already completed a workshop?

#4 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks very much. Actually I suppose when it comes down to it, I can do any rig testing easy enough once I have a workshop under the belt.

Does anybody know if Tiffen or others have a workshop like the broadcast one, but for people who would have already completed a workshop?

How long was your previous workshop? The weeklong Tiffen workshop (there's one in December in Atlanta) has plenty of content to absorb and use even if you have had a workshop before.

There are some Master Class workshops offered from time to time but they are for operators with a significant amount of experience under their belts.

Try searching the forum website from Google (I forget the exact syntax). I find that the search function within the forum is very unreliable and misses stuff all the time.

#5 Stephen Wymer

Stephen Wymer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • Oklahoma City

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

How long was your previous workshop? The weeklong Tiffen workshop (there's one in December in Atlanta) has plenty of content to absorb and use even if you have had a workshop before.

There are some Master Class workshops offered from time to time but they are for operators with a significant amount of experience under their belts.

Try searching the forum website from Google (I forget the exact syntax). I find that the search function within the forum is very unreliable and misses stuff all the time.

The weeklong Atlanta workshop would definitely be worth checking out. There will be six instructors, including Garret Brown, Jerry Holway, and Peter Abraham (unless I'm mistaken). Not sure who the other three instructors are but I'm sure they'll be top notch.

Price isn't bad either. The total amount you would spend roundtrip is not much more than the price of the workshop (i.e. the workshop takes care of everything including housing and meals, you only need worry about travel expenses.)

I'm actually currently working on getting a spot reserved in Atlanta myself. Maybe I'll see you out there Alex.

Stephen Wymer

#6 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

In addition to the Tiffen workshops, I'm aware of:

Sachtler Artemis workshops, I believe there is one that was recently announced on the forum. Not sure on length.

Steadicam Guild Master Class, for anyone who has taken at least one workshop. Offered roughly once a year, dependent largely on schedules. 2 days

GPI Pro Workshop, offered once a year depending on instructor schedules. I believe this year was the first in many. 2 days

Robert Starling offers a custom one-on-one workshop designed for you. One or more days depending on your needs.

I've taken my share and found great value in all of them. They all have their Pro's and Cons, but I would recommend the latter 3 without question (haven't taken a Sachtler workshop)

Robert's is uniquely versatile among them. He'll work with your schedule and his to schedule it, rather than you waiting for one to come up and working it in. He'll customize to your needs and give you one-on-one attention to address them. And he'll go over the business side of things far more in depth than the others, to the extent of helping you make a business and marketing plan.

Good luck :)

#7 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I'm for sure going to take a full workshop to begin, since I've only had very limited training on the steadi before. While I'm at it, I'm also going to take the Maine Media camera operator workshop first, since while I have camera operating knowledge, I'm only familiar with a very small number of professional cameras that I might meet as a Steadi op.

Mark, sorry for the confusion. I've not taken any workshop yet. What I ment was after I finished a workshop, if there was anything else I could do that would prepare me specifically for live broadcast work. The Tiffen one looks great, but it's geared to people who haven't taken any workshop yet (which I will have once I'm looking at a second).

Also thanks Mark for the search advice. I found a lot of threads I missed over.

Brian, thanks for the non-Tiffen ones as well. I'll be sure to drop Robert a line. It's amazing how many people are out there to help you in this industry! When they have these workshops for people who have already done one, how much experience would your average person have between jumping into the second one?

I appreciate everybody's advice, I'm going to start making up a plan so that I can come in as prepared as possible. And of course I'll be back to the forum!

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Boland Communications

Teradek

Paralinx LLC