11 replies to this topic

#1 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have a shot coming up on this feature where I'll be operating in an office building, and the shot will include traveling inside an elevator between floors.

I've already watched the McConkey shot for RAISING CAIN and taken to heart his tips on working with the actor to compensate for any bobble. I'm just wondering if anyone else has some tips or things to keep in mind?

My plan on the day is to steal a PA to try walking through the scene during down time. This way, I'll learn the path and also take a ride in the elevators a few times to see how dramatic the acceleration may be. Any other ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

I have a shot coming up on this feature where I'll be operating in an office building, and the shot will include traveling inside an elevator between floors.

I've already watched the McConkey shot for RAISING CAIN and taken to heart his tips on working with the actor to compensate for any bobble. I'm just wondering if anyone else has some tips or things to keep in mind?

My plan on the day is to steal a PA to try walking through the scene during down time. This way, I'll learn the path and also take a ride in the elevators a few times to see how dramatic the acceleration may be. Any other ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I would also have a look at the shot in The X Files Season Six Disc 1 Ep;3 Triangle. some good work in a elevator (not real one) but still some great operating .
.If you get a chance you could use a flyer with a mini dvcam or a smoothie with a iphone and walk through the shot with that.
Good luck
Louis Puli

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:53 AM

also look at the 1st 5 minutes of Bonfire of the Vanities (sure it's on Afton's site).

#4 Henry Gelhart

Henry Gelhart

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 102 posts
  • Florida and Germany

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

Charles Papert's Steadicam oner from scrubs!
Even with a real elevator haha

Henry

#5 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

mmmph...thanks Henry, but that's more of a primer on how to blow your horizon during whip pans--and how to stretch a minute's worth of material into two minutes (hint: neither are desirable).

Elevator worked out though.

#6 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

Charles,
under the steadicam point of view, I found it really enjoyable!!!!

#7 Douglas John Kropla

Douglas John Kropla

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 91 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Great shot Charles.

#8 David M. Aronson

David M. Aronson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Arlington, VA

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

How many takes did that take to pull of Charles?

Edited by David Aronson, 24 August 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#9 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

William,
Last year I was operating on a movie in Berlin in the winter, and had really thick gloves on, that I was not used to. I had several shots in elevators where I had to hold actors in an anamorphic 35mm frame, one on each side , going thru intense dialogue in an industrial type elevator with really hard stops and starts.
The best advice I can give you is to land so that you are very balanced for the journey. You will need to grasp the arm really solidly with your right hand and still be really light with the operating hand. Do not try and predict when the elevator will stop and start. Its a waste of time and a distraction IMHO. just grasp the arm real tight.
Good luck.

Sanjay Sami

#10 Phil Thomas

Phil Thomas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:58 AM

Hi,

I'm only new to Steadicam but I did some elevator work in my workshop and I found the same as Sanjay, just kind of lock out your arm (of the fleshy type) that's on the handle and be prepared that the handle will try and force into your hand as the lift accelerates and decelerates and push against it as it happens.

Charles, out of interest did you do that scrubs shot mostly walking backwards or in Don Juan? I quite like doing Don Juan but I've read quite a few ops on here that try and do as much as possible walking backwards.

Just looked at the date of the original post, guess you've done the shot by now, how did you get on?

Phil

#11 Amedeo Fabroni

Amedeo Fabroni

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 43 posts
  • Italy

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

1:25

Amedeo

#12 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Just looked at the date of the original post, guess you've done the shot by now, how did you get on?

Phil,

Alas, I never had a chance to perform the shot. Turns out, due to a number of issues, they had to refigure our day so that shot (in that form) had to die. I was a bit disappointed, but I think everyone realized the story didn't need that particular shot.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll have a chance to do something like that again sometime soon.

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications