• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hi, looking forward to finding the help that will stop my grey hair advance in its tracks.

So we have developed a camera stabiliser on a pendulum mount with a high speed / precision gyro that is mounted on the pitch axis of the unit. The camera is mounted below this point and when testing on our workbench the camera maintains the horizon perfectly when the gyro is running and the unit is subject to forward and up and down motions. When however there are more shocks applied to the unit the gyro responds by moving the unit off the horizon. We are currently working on the removal of the vibrations / shocks in order to eliminate this negative response but we have also found in a number of places the suggestion that running 2 gyros for horizon / pitch stabilisation is the best option. Can anyone shed any light on this combination of the 2 gyro approach?
Many thanks

matt

#2 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

I use gyros quite a bit, mostly not attached to a Steadicam. All I can say is that by adding a second Kenyon-type gyro at the correct angle you get added stability at the cost of panning speed as it becomes harder to manipulate. I am not a gyro expert, that's just my user-based experience.

#3 Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Many thanks Sydney, gyros can do some crazy things when manipulated and the one we are using has some incredible force for its size. It is tough to understand why the gyro does certain things when shocks are applied but as I mentioned we are looking to remove these in any case as they cannot be a force for good in any circumstance that we can see. Thanks again for your feedback.

#4 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Larry McConkey did a great PDF about Gyro orientation a few years ago.

As I understand it; the kenyon gyros can move a little bit independantly from their shell as this is how they work to pull the shell back to the plane they are spinning on. When there is a slight knock the gyros are off axis to the shell which can cause issues in other axis as the shell re-orientates itself to the plane.

#5 Markus Kuballa

Markus Kuballa

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 80 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

I'd love to get that .pdf somewhere. Does anyone still have it?

#6 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

I'd love to get that .pdf somewhere. Does anyone still have it?

Same here!

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek