8 replies to this topic

#1 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:14 PM

Hey all, I hope you had a great holiday. We have some great news concerning the SOA site. We have just launched our NEW Demo Reel Service that enables you to upload your Demo Reel in Quicktime or Windows Media format to stream from your SOA Profile. Now directors and producers searching the SOA database can not only find your contact info but they can also view your work!

Some Quick Features & Benefits:
-Your Demo Reel will be available for viewing online 24 hours a day.
-Cheaper and easier than dubbing and shipping reels to potential clients.
-Great if you don't have a website to host your own demo or if your website doesn't have the proper bandwidth.
-You can change your demo reel at anytime.

Add this feature to your SOA Profile for $87.50 per year. This is almost half the cost of some other Demo Real Hosting Services out there on the internet. If you don't have your Demo Reel in a web format we also offer a very affordable encoding service.

We hope you guys check this feature out. If you have any question please don't hesitate to contact us.

Jay Kilroy
SOA, VP
jkilroy@steadicam-ops.com

#2 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:52 AM

It's hard to beleive there is another new feature...that's two in the last week!

It's a small feature but very useful...especially if you are using the new Demo Video Service with your SOA Profile.

Members can now automatically send emails to prospective clients with a direct link to your SOA Profile and Demo Video! To access this feature just login to your Member Account and you will see this new option in the Main Controls. Just enter an email address and SOA will automatically send them a personalized invite with a direct link to your SOA Profile and Demo Video.

I hope you guys will check this feature out. Right now we have a couple of members who have already established profiles with reels.

member profile reel

member profile reel 2

Here are two of them check them out and let us know what you think.

Jay Kilroy

#3 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

Is there an option for Mac users to view the reels? I cant play Windows media files on my mac; what about a quicktime version of each reel as well?

#4 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:50 PM

Is there an option for Mac users to view the reels? I cant play Windows media files on my mac; what about a quicktime version of each reel as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephen,

I will check with our web admin guy. Thanks for the feedback.

Jay

#5 dustinlucht

dustinlucht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Molalla, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

You may also want to lower the bitrate of the reels. I have a DSL connection, but I still had to re-buffer in the middle of the clip. Probily start with lowering the bitrate of the audio, since it's not as important as the ever-important video. A DSL connection can only handle about 225 kilobits/sec (28 kilobytes/sec).

#6 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

Stephen,

Carl has added features to cater to MAC users, let me know if this works any better.

Dustin,
I'll check into what you are talking about. You lost me after "I have DSL..." I'll let you know.

Jay

#7 SOASupport

SOASupport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:50 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steve,

There is a Windows Media Player for MAC. Here is a link to download:
MAC Windows Media Player

When you sign up for the service you can upload a quicktime demo or windows media it's your choice...as for having a Quicktime & Windows version of each demo would take up a lot of space and double the cost of the service. If we find that it's something that a lot of members want we may consider adding an option to add an additional demo.

I hope this helps.

Carl
SOA Support

#8 SOASupport

SOASupport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

You may also want to lower the bitrate of the reels. I have a DSL connection, but I still had to re-buffer in the middle of the clip. Probily start with lowering the bitrate of the audio, since it's not as important as the ever-important video. A DSL connection can only handle about 225 kilobits/sec (28 kilobytes/sec).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dustin,

SOA Members using the Demo Reel Service are free to encode their video for whatever bitrate they chose...SOA does not control this. However, since the purpose of the service is to allow potential clients to view your demo I recommend that you encode your video for high bandwidth to ensure good quality. I prefer 384kbps as a good mix of quality and fair buffer time for DSL users.

Carl
SOA

#9 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:49 AM

Thanks Guys. Shows how little i know about computers! :lol:

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers