Adam Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hi

I have an Archer 2 SE with a G50 arm.

I am looking at buying a gyro or 2 for this setup.

I mainly shoot RED MX with Zeiss compact primes and the new Arri WC3 remote follow focus.

I am looking at getting either 1 or two gyro's as i need to shoot high speed (100 FPS ) with long lenses whilst I am running or on the back of a car.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Also if the gyro's were self powered and maybe could run off the D-TAP from the sled, that would be great.

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hi

I mainly shoot RED MX with Zeiss compact primes and the new Arri WC3 remote follow focus.

I am looking at getting either 1 or two gyro's as i need to shoot high speed (100 FPS ) with long lenses whilst I am running or on the back of a car.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Also if the gyro's were self powered and maybe could run off the D-TAP from the sled, that would be great.

http://www.ken-lab.c...tabilizers.html -- all the specs are listed as well as the kits they sell. Adding 2 k-4's plus cables and inverter will add at least 6 lbs.

#3 Adam Eden

Adam Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi

http://www.ken-lab.c...tabilizers.html -- all the specs are listed as well as the kits they sell. Adding 2 k-4's plus cables and inverter will add at least 6 lbs.

I was thinking of the Ken Lab ones. I was thinking of 1 x k4 to start off with. What do other steadicam ops mainly use and how many?

#4 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 385 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Gyros are usually used in pairs. There's a great article from Larry McConkey about how he began using gyros in the July 1995 edition of the Steadicam letter (hosted by the Steadicam Guild here: http://www.steadicam.../v4n4july95.pdf ). While some things have changed (PRO for instance has a nice inverter that snaps onto an Anton Bauer plate, lessening the need for an umbilical cord), the information is still good.

Hope this helps!

#5 Adam Eden

Adam Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

Thanks guy. That is really good info

#6 Anders Holck Petersen

Anders Holck Petersen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

There is also a very thorough chapter in the Bible / Steadicam Operators Handbook

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers