Photo

How do you power up a Decimator 2 with a AB Zephyr mount?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frank liu

frank liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

How do you get a custom cable or if there is any out there online to power it and how much do you think one would cost? I got the SD monitor so I want to be able to use an HDMI signal...

#2 frank liu

frank liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Nevermind, got a great response from Mark. Guess it costs like maybe 50-80 for a custom cable to power it.

Edited by frank liu, 27 May 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I just pm'd you but here are a couple of thoughts:

If you are using a DSLR like the Canon 5D/7D/60D, just use the composite video output of the camera. No advantage to using HDMI out of the camera to an SD (standard def composite) monitor.

Even if you did want to use the HDMI out, the Decimator2 is the wrong box for the job. It won't do what you're asking. Input is HD-SDI and outputs are HDMI and composite downconverted SD. No HDMI input.

I'm not sure what is available to convert HDMI to composite, but if AJA or Blackmagic make boxes, they are finicky on their voltage inputs, so a simple cable will not work. AJA wants 5V regulated and BM generally wants 12V regulated. Switronix makes a cable suitable for AJA, I believe. DOn't know what is available for BM.

#4 frank liu

frank liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

I just pm'd you but here are a couple of thoughts:

If you are using a DSLR like the Canon 5D/7D/60D, just use the composite video output of the camera. No advantage to using HDMI out of the camera to an SD (standard def composite) monitor.

Even if you did want to use the HDMI out, the Decimator2 is the wrong box for the job. It won't do what you're asking. Input is HD-SDI and outputs are HDMI and composite downconverted SD. No HDMI input.

I'm not sure what is available to convert HDMI to composite, but if AJA or Blackmagic make boxes, they are finicky on their voltage inputs, so a simple cable will not work. AJA wants 5V regulated and BM generally wants 12V regulated. Switronix makes a cable suitable for AJA, I believe. DOn't know what is available for BM.

Thanks again Mark. You did correct me on thinking that it takes HDMI to an SDI out. I now know it doesn't. Thanks for the info.

#5 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Hey Frank,

In terms of custom cables, Terry West or Fred Davis could certainly help you with that. Or you can mod your decimator power like My Mod or Robert's Mod and use a pre-existing cable for something you already have or plan on purchasing.

-Alfeo

#6 Michael Hauer

Michael Hauer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

I just cut the ac adapter off the power cable and soddered on 4 pin XLR. Just have to use a multimeter to find out what is hot and what is ground (4 pin XLR only actually uses pin 1 and 4)

#7 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

Yup, if you're handy with simple soldering it's cheap and easy to make an XLR 4pin or d-tap cable yourself.

I'm not up to soldering hirose or lemo personally...but it's only because I have enough hobbies!

#8 Andrew Stone

Andrew Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

I like Alfeo's suggestions. I am partial to Lemos but if I had a bunch of Hirose to P-Taps kicking around I would do what Alfeo did and use a connector based on existing but under utilized cables. I curse every time I go to take the power cable off the Decimator. I gotta do something about it as well.

I recall there was talk via Charles last year that Redbyte was going to change their power connector. Have they yet?

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems