#1 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 645 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hi folks.
So we sometimes work in dark enviroments, Studios and stages can be very dark especially where we end up staging our gear and stands.
I set off to find an easy and cheap way to light the area.
First I thought of making something like what Tom Gleason made for Erwin with a Gooseneck light on the side of the Hill/Gorelock bracket., But that involved running a cable down to a battery.
I looked on ebay for some sort of Battery box with a USB connector and an On/Off switch.... Here it is.
The link for the battery box is
My link

Then a short gooseneck LED light for a laptop. Here is the link for that.
My link

I then added some velcro to the battery box and whala, all done. The wait for these parts to ship from China is like 3 weeks, but total cost is $10. plus the velcro.

Here are some pictures on the set.
Take care,

#2 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 211 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thats awesome Ozzie! Thanks for posting!
How long have the batteries been lasting?

Think i'll order one anyway!

Edited by James Puli, 24 May 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#3 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 645 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi James,

I put in 4 Energizer Lithium batteries when I got it, I turn it on when I get to set, build the rig, then turn it off, and I only need to turn it on at the end of the day to pack up. I have not replaced the batteries, but it has only been 3 work days since then. So I have not tested the battery box to it's limits.
The box has a side panel that slides off quite easily, I put the velcro on one side, and then a couple of strips of black paper tape. It's a really nice set up.

PS, Look for several different listings on ebay, some are cheaper than others on the shipping. get some friends together and buy like 10 at a time of each.

#4 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Wow, I just bought a 12/9/5V Lithium ion rechargable battery box on ebay for another use ($40 with shipping from China), and I already own a USB "book light" on a gooseneck.

I was wearing the ruby slippers all along! I'm definitely going to try this out. Thanks for sharing this.

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems