• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

I was practicing in the hallway of my apartment building when my super walks by, so I asked to him model for me:

It's my second day with my rig, please let me know what you think.

(don't know whats up with the grey stuff at the beginning - youtube is doing it)

Thanks

#2 Michael Shu

Michael Shu

• Sustaining Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Solid for a second day! Looks like you're getting used to how to wear and operate the rig, thus getting the "bicycle" of the "riding a bicycle while playing the violin" analogy. I did such tests in my apartment building with my Pilot when I first got it a couple years ago. The good challenge with the hallways is that it has a lot of lines that can give good feedback about a number of things when playing back our own videos.

-One is keeping the post traveling in a straight line and not letting our body movements make the rig sway back and forth. The lines of the ceiling and the floor make this visible. I recommend finding or creating a line on the floor to do line dances on.

-Another is that the vertical lines of the doors give us good feedback about our horizons. Try to watch those vertical lines to help you gauge proper horizon as horizontal lines can be deceiving. The very wide angle of the lens distorting the lines may throw you off, so maybe zoom in a smidge to have a better reference. Don't be afraid to put bubble levels on your rig to help you out in the beginning either.

-Finally, the hallways have a clear "vanishing point" (someone chime in with a better term for it?) at the end of the hall to use as a point of reference for keeping the frame and not panning around wildly. Try zooming in all the way on an item at the end of the hall and try to maintain it at a specific point in your frame as you walk forwards and backwards.

Happy flying! I hope you get addicted to it like the rest of us have!

#3 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Try to watch those vertical lines to help you gauge proper horizon as horizontal lines can be deceiving. The very wide angle of the lens distorting the lines may throw you off, so maybe zoom in a smidge to have a better reference. Don't be afraid to put bubble levels on your rig to help you out in the beginning either.

What are bubble levels?

Thanks for the advice!

#4 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

Try to watch those vertical lines to help you gauge proper horizon as horizontal lines can be deceiving. The very wide angle of the lens distorting the lines may throw you off, so maybe zoom in a smidge to have a better reference. Don't be afraid to put bubble levels on your rig to help you out in the beginning either.

What are bubble levels?

Thanks for the advice!

Leonard;

You're a smart guy so welcome to Steadicam and I'm going to tell you to figure that one out on your own.

Really basic stuff you're going to have to figure out.

You learn the most when you do that so a little tough love here.

(There's a new Sheriff in town and she's a pissed off woman.)

JA

#5 Michael Shu

Michael Shu

• Sustaining Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

"Watch your bubble.... watch your bubble! BUBBLE!!!!"

Wow, Janice, your new signature really commands obedience :-P

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

What are bubble levels?

Thanks for the advice!

Are you serious????

Search the archives before you post and you won't have to ask such basic questions (yes I am grumpier than Janice)

#7 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

What are bubble levels?

Thanks for the advice!

Are you serious????

Search the archives before you post and you won't have to ask such basic questions (yes I am grumpier than Janice)

Hey!...
May be Mr. Fletcher was a grumpier boy (some times ..grumpiest), but don´t forget he´s one TOP-TEEN operator.
Please, after to ask for some advice... Search in to the STEADICAMFORUM files....
It´s so comfortable to ask about an advice with no investigating or read all and old post about a question... :angry: :angry:
Please, be sure about what advice you need.
Best regards

#8 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Someone should tell Leonard to do a search, haha.

Ok but beyond that--if you haven't already, Leonard, buy the Steadicam Operator's Handbook.

And also: do the same walking the hallway "test" (we would call that practice) without the super, as I'm sure you have been. Do it a thousand times. Fast, slow, going forwards, backwards. Do the zoom-in thing that Michael describes. Set up the exercises in the book and do those.

If you were wondering why you weren't getting a lot of "awesome dude!" responses here, imagine knocking at the back door of Symphony Hall and scratching out a few notes on the viola you just bought yesterday for everyone's approval. If you were lucky, the best you'd get would be "go home and practice". More likely they'd throw something at you.

#9 Leonard Shen

Leonard Shen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

Ok bubble level is the mercury thing on your tripod.. is that what you are talking about? If it is then yeah of course I know what it is, I didn't know I get literarily insert one onto the steadicam rig. I'll go to the store and get one.

Thanks for all the advice... hey at least I didn't start a thread asking what bubble level is haha!

And yes I have been walking up and down the hall... not a thousand times yet though. my left hand needs work.

Will report with new footage once there is noticeable improvements.

EDIT: just bought the book online, I'm apparently goofy.

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions