#1 Dave Wowchuk

Dave Wowchuk

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 123 posts
  • Winnipeg, MB Canada

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to power a Blackmagic HDMI->SDI mini-converter off of my Zephyr. I had a cable made to supply power from the sled, but the dang thing won't power up. It works fine with the AC adapter, and I know the 12v outs on the sled work fine. Anyone know what could be wrong? I thought I heard somewhere that the BM converters MUST have regulated 12v to work properly. Can anyone confirm this, or provide me with some assistance?

Many thanks.

Dave

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

Dave and I have conferred on this but for the benefit of others: feed the infernal Blackmagic boxes anything above 12.5v and they shut off. They need a regulator inline if you are using a 14.4v battery. They are commercially available (Switronix makes a p-tap cable with inline regulator).

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Is this still the case? Their Website lists them as accepting 12-31volts. What about the heavyduty version?

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Think you meant 12-31v? The original convertor is still 12v maximum but both the heavy duty and the battery convertor versions are 12-31v. Looks like the battery convertor version is the same price as the original ($280 street) so that seems to be the one to get.

#5 Ryan Brooks

Ryan Brooks

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

I just dealt with this issue a few months ago. Same exact piece and sled. Had to go with a cord that has an in-line regulator. East Coast Cables hooked me up well. I highly recommend using them to help with this problem.

#6 Wan Zhong Wei

Wan Zhong Wei

• Sustaining Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

the zephyr doesnt regulate the juice that comes from the v mount battery, my poor marshall monitor gets fried at 15v at full charge, slowly but surely...

is either you get a lemo to 12v regulator to DC out, or you can purchase one of the V mount battery plate thingy

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4165e16a3a

they can regulate a v mount battery on top and output 5, 7.2 or 12v for your devices, i always hook that up and place it on my top stage, good excuse to increase my sled weight for stability as well.

it is a good way to mount the camwave if you are using DSLRs, you get a v mount slot supposed by 15mm rods. and is affordable.

cheers.

#7 David M. Aronson

David M. Aronson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Arlington, VA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I killed my original downconverter powering it in with a fresh Dionic. I could almost hear it crying. I've yet to replace it, but the black magic things, specifically the older ones are really sensitive to voltage variations.

#8 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

That's weird. I keep hearing about this issue, but mine runs off of any power I throw at it. Maybe they fixed that problem at some point.

#9 Fabian Meller

Fabian Meller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Vienna - Austria

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

hey there!

I recently got my (heavy duty) black magic sdi downconverter. For now I thought of using a common D-Tap to power it but I measured that one of my batteries got up to 15Volts.

So I'm fairly concerned about that method - Now I heard the heavy dutys were supposed to work with a bit more than just 12V? Or should I consider another power supply?
Maybe a customized 3pin LEMO to DC cable? Might the Aux Power off the sled go beyond 12V? (Having an old Artemis EFP)

I'll appreciate your help :)

#10 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Specs on the heavy duty converter are 12-31v as indicated on the Blackmagic site, and here, above. You should be fine.

There is also a battery converter version available that has the same heavy duty case plus inetrnal battery but is cheaper, inexplicably. Same price as the "classic" converter. That is also 12-31v.

#11 Fabian Meller

Fabian Meller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Vienna - Austria

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Thank You Charles!

But now that I looked it up again (http://www.blackmagi...yduty/techspecs)
it say 12V on the SDI to Analog one, whereas the other converters are 12-31v...

#12 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

OK yeah, the downconverter is indeed 12v. I didn't notice that you described it as such. This is after all a thread about HDMI to SDI convertors.

Blackmagic is a little erratic about their power conversion--it seems weird that some of their mini-convertors have upgraded high-voltage capability and others don't.

Meanwhile: AJA still has some units that are 5v, and others that are fine with higher voltage. For the record, Decimators all take the voltage that a hot battery can dish out.

#13 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Some BM non-heavy duty mini converters (such as HDMI to SDI) used to be <14V only but have been redesigned with the wider power input, so they exist in the wild in a "gen 1" and "gen 2" flavors. Only way to distinguish is the serial number or by testing.

#14 Adi Visser SOC SASO

Adi Visser SOC SASO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 51 posts
  • Cape Town South Africa

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hi I also recently bpought the heavy duty HDMI-HDSDI and 14.5 V works fine on my I think its the older ones that are a bit more sensitive.

Adi

#15 Fabian Meller

Fabian Meller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Vienna - Austria

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

OK yeah, the downconverter is indeed 12v. I didn't notice that you described it as such. This is after all a thread about HDMI to SDI convertors.

Sorry, I didn't point that out but didn't want to open another thread.

Only way to distinguish is the serial number or by testing.

Excuse my probably dumb question but how would I test it and not destroying it?

Edited by Fabian Meller, 04 November 2012 - 06:00 AM.

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery