Photo

Chameides--still killing it (on the east coast)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

As most know, Dave Chameides has relocated back east to the very town in CT that he grew up in (awwww) and he checked in with me recently about his first job in the snow in many years, a Taylor Swift video. I mention it here because the first shot is pretty friggin' jaw-dropping in operating precision, so much so that I was dubious if it was digitally stabilized (he checked with the producer who said it wasn't). Apparently it was shot in low high mode, walking along a road alongside the snowy field, but bundled up in cold weather gear. Pretty damn rocking.

Ops like Dave and Geoff Haley are for me the unsung heroes of our field, quietly and unassumingly churning out super-solid work day after day.

#2 Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Was the op riding on a dolly? Pretty smooth move.

#3 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

WOW.

Very nice. Wouldn't have guessed Steadicam at all.

Wonder if they at least cleared his path or put down plywood?

Dave, you da man!

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Nope, he was just walking along the road, at a pretty good clip. No special gear.

#5 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Nice. Well done.

#6 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

"the first shot is pretty friggin' jaw-dropping in operating precision"

Speechless.... and humbled......

#7 Richard Romero

Richard Romero

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 63 posts
  • Santa Fe, New Mexico. Rome, Italy. Todi, Umbria

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Nice!

#8 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Charles, and everyone else, for the kudos. I'm still kind of shocked by how well that shot came out as I recall it being a complete pain in the arse at the time. The guy was walking fast and I couldn't keep up, thus the reason he travels through that frame. It's funny because the rest of the snow stuff (my first time wearing all the clothing necessary to do steadi in 10 degrees) pretty much sucks. This was the last shot up and I guess on some level I must have figured out by then how to work through all the layers. Checked with the director as well about digital stabilizing and he said that they didn't. I'm inclined not to believe him. That said, when Bob Crone taught me back in the day he always said, the sad part about what we do is that if you do it right, no one will ever know you were there. Guess it's nice to pull one of those off every once in a while.

That said, I more than made up for that with all my operating the last two weeks, so I'm pretty much even at this point, with the quality meter dipping back towards sloppy.

Dave

#9 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks Charles, and everyone else, for the kudos. I'm still kind of shocked by how well that shot came out as I recall it being a complete pain in the arse at the time. The guy was walking fast and I couldn't keep up, thus the reason he travels through that frame. It's funny because the rest of the snow stuff (my first time wearing all the clothing necessary to do steadi in 10 degrees) pretty much sucks. This was the last shot up and I guess on some level I must have figured out by then how to work through all the layers. Checked with the director as well about digital stabilizing and he said that they didn't. I'm inclined not to believe him. That said, when Bob Crone taught me back in the day he always said, the sad part about what we do is that if you do it right, no one will ever know you were there. Guess it's nice to pull one of those off every once in a while.

That said, I more than made up for that with all my operating the last two weeks, so I'm pretty much even at this point, with the quality meter dipping back towards sloppy.

Dave

Nice work.If Charles or I attempted that shot the bottom of the sled would be dragging in the snow, that's why we choose to work in warm climates.
John Lindley was asking me about you last week, I assume for a pilot with Tommy. I told him he'd love you. Good luck!

#10 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

...ART!... Every frame is pure art....

#11 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Dave

Nice work.If Charles or I attempted that shot the bottom of the sled would be dragging in the snow, that's why we choose to work in warm climates.
John Lindley was asking me about you last week, I assume for a pilot with Tommy. I told him he'd love you. Good luck!

Thanks Doc. Looks like that gig is going to work out. Not too much steadi but it's always fun to work with Tommy and John sounds cool.

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

BOXX

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

IDX