#1 Brett Manyluk

Brett Manyluk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Greetings all,

Has anyone replaced their hex screw on their DB3 with a no tools kipp solution or something similar? And if so, can you link to where you bought the kipp from?

Thanks!

#2 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

I've bought hundreds of those from Mcmaster-Carr, (mcmaster.com)
fixtureworks.net has them, there are several others. I prefer Mcmaster because I can pick them up locally and they seemed to have the biggest variations in style.

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

you'd probably have to redesign the swing out clamp/release lever and make it in a different shape to go around a kip or any longer screw. I attached a pic from the GPI website for those not familiar with what we are talking about...one can see how the lock-down screw goes through the clamp -- it opens too far to just mill out a longer groove. On the db2, the locking mechanism was also the course adjust, on the db3 there is a separate doohicky for that so it really hasn't been an issue for me like I thought it would after having a tool-less db2 for 12 years. Maybe someone has done a cool mod, but I haven't heard of one and it works so well like it is. I will talk to George and see if he can make the next batch with a solenoid locking mechanism and a pushbutton on the jbox to activate it.

rb

Attached Files

#4 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

I bought a bunch of knobs from JW Winco (jwwinco.com) and found their service to be excellent. They have a huge selection of adjustable handles too (what we call 'Kipp' handles).

#5 AndySchwartz

AndySchwartz

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

hey brett

i dont have a pro, but i have a bunch of other stuff with kipp handles, and i buy them from fixtureworks.com.

they are way cheap and have steel and plastic ones in all lengths.

if you have questions call kipp. (269) 932-1100
and talk to thomas. he can help you figure what bits and sizes you need if you need help.

cheers

andy

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Funny how folks keep giving him places to buy kipp handles...not sure that was his question.

#7 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Baldwin suffers from a rare venereal disease which has left him only able to read the first half of a question; the second half is literally invisible to him. So take pity on him. I do.

#8 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

Baldwin suffers from a rare venereal disease which has left him only able to read the first half of a question; the second half is literally invisible to him. So take pity on him. I do.

Careful Chas... Ron has been on Lisigav for so long he could go off on another "Gav-Rage"!

:rolleyes:

#9 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:11 AM

Guys...you will please ignore any and all comments made by old retired steadi-ops. And Rob is right, I will go all gav on him next time I see him at the old folks home or the e-line. I thought the second half of the question was asking where the db3 altering super-geniius got the cool kipp that made it no-tools. Since the afore mentioned uber-genius will not come forward and enlighten us on the finer points of altering physics and putting a kipp handle where it won't fit (or work) I think talking about where to buy kipp handles might just be a tad premature.

#10 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

I agree with Ron, there is pretty much no way to put a kip handle on the DBox3's locking clamp

#11 Ken Nguyen

Ken Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 245 posts
  • California & Viet Nam

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

I agree with Ron, there is pretty much no way to put a kip handle on the DBox3's locking clamp

second this.
I think the DB3 Brett asked is actually a DB1 (hint of the hex screw).
Cheers,
Ken Nguyen.

#12 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

second this.
I think the DB3 Brett asked is actually a DB1 (hint of the hex screw).
Cheers,
Ken Nguyen.

the db3 has a hex screw with 5/32 key. I agree with Eric on the modification....it works, so why change it.....

#13 Brett Manyluk

Brett Manyluk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

Wow. Okay. I was just curious if someone had worked up a mod to accommodate this. You never know what's getting cooked up in the minds of the operators on this forum. I agree wholeheartedly with the grooviness of the design, but you never know...

Thanks for the replies. Wish I had phrased the query to sound a little less noobish. On the upside, I have plenty of leads on Kipp handles now.

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

IDX